Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 27 Jun 2017 01:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Should Humbrol re-introduce the Humbrol Colour System?
Poll ended at Sat 12 May 2007 13:01 pm
Yes 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
No, they should re-introduce Humbrol Authentics instead 67%  67%  [ 26 ]
They should re-introduce both Authentics and the Colour System 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Not bothered one way or the other 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 39
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2007 18:54 pm 
ATF Founder
ATF Founder

: ATF Creator
: Administrator
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
: AMSIG Member
: ex-Royal Navy
I have passed on the results of the poll to Darrell Burge for him to digest. I also sent him comments made in this thread. We will now have to wait to hear what he has to say.

Dave

My Portfolio + My Works in Progress + My Stash.

Stash: 171. Built: 1967-1980: 250. 1981-2005: 4. 2006-2010: 52. 2011-2015: 119. 2016: 33. 2017: 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2007 22:25 pm 
ATF Founder
ATF Founder

: ATF Creator
: AMSIG Member
: ex-Royal Navy
I have received a reply from Darrell acknowledging receipt of the poll and the comments of ATF members. He says he will take onboard everything that has been said. Only time will tell whether the Humbrol Colour System will be reintroduced or not.

Dave

My Portfolio + My Works in Progress + My Stash.

Stash: 171. Built: 1967-1980: 250. 1981-2005: 4. 2006-2010: 52. 2011-2015: 119. 2016: 33. 2017: 6.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2016 22:42 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

I was thinking about the Humbrol Colour System this evening and was pleased to find this older thread discussing it and agree overwhelmingly with the majority views expressed (used it twice for the same colour and got very different results each time) and imagine from the lack of anything to the contrary that the comments passed on to Humbrol must have been heeded in the nine years since the last response.

However, the thought that initially came to mind was whether or not in the early years following the system being introduced and marketed if it was ever updated?

I remember that the pack included a postcard for the buyer to send to Humbrol to go on a mailing list for any future updates but moving house a couple of times in the pre-internet years that followed put an end to that paper trail although I never noticed much mention of the System at all in the various modelling magazines that I followed back then after the initial release and advertising.

Des

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun 2017 16:41 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Group Build Guru
Just in case anyone was curious as to what the Humbrol Colour System was, here's a taster :arrow:

Conversion charts for different brands and the equivalent Humbrol paints

The colours required for modelling in each genre, with a straight from the tin Humbrol or the correct mix of Humbrol paints as listed

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun 2017 18:28 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

This is why they invented the internet. Did Humbrol put this information on-line somewhere????

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun 2017 18:41 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

No, Dancho, it's an Internet-deterrent. You keep the booklet handy beside your paint store and flick through it whenever you have a query. Saves getting distracted by who has posted a new photo on your favourite Facebook Vintage Lorries page, or tracing through Wikipedia WWII AFV references to see how many contradictory "facts" you can find in one paragraph, then forgetting what colour you were after anyway. And, as Ratch has shown, it has an attractive blue cover (although it should really be more paint-smudged than that - mine is!). Just not sure whether it's meant to be Hu 14 (French Blue) or Hu 15 (Midnight Blue) ...

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun 2017 20:14 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

They could scan it and put it up as a pdf.

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun 2017 22:56 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

I like the simplicity for US Olive Drab: Hu66, job done. Is the recommendation for USAAF Olive Drab different, I wonder?

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun 2017 02:08 am 
Site Owner

Great feedback chaps :clapping:
For me, guides like these were Gospel, to be worked towards :geek:
It was only my dislike of mixing that drove me to seek out straight from the tin/jar/bottle paints :lol:

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun 2017 08:15 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

For Des (whose query we seem to have ignored) I do have a faint memory that after buying the initial pack there was at least one update consisting of additional pages. If/when I get the time (first summer visitors expected to arrive today) I'll check through to see if there is any identifier on particular pages to show if they are initial pack or addition.

On mixing, I may have shared this information before, but a couple of years ago I started to panic that my supply of Phoenix Precision LNWR Wagon Grey was running low. Ignoring those who would spend a lifetime arguing the shade of the original, I simply tried to match a swatch from my last-but-one Phoenix tin to a patch from every other grey I had (and there were many). While all were indeed marginally different, I soon decided there were enough 'second matches' for my panic to subside. But alongside that, knowing that the LNWR's own formula was equal amounts (by weight) of white and black pigment, I experimented using brushes, pipettes and syringes as mixing instruments for Humbrol 21 & 22 and 33 & 34. Suffice it to say that I found an order of magnitude more variation in hue between my successive attempts to mix equal black/white (by any method) than there was between most of my premixed tins. The case against mixing - if you want any sort of consistency - for me rests.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun 2017 09:14 am 
Red Star
Red Star

There are some things which feel good to own wether practical or not. This looks like one of them.

Where could one get hold of a copy today ?

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun 2017 11:50 am 
Red Star
Red Star

: --------------------
Dordogne Dodger wrote:
LNWR Wagon Grey own formula was equal amounts (by weight) of white and black pigment, I experimented using brushes, pipettes and syringes as mixing instruments for Humbrol 21 & 22 and 33 & 34.

I see 2 problems here:-
1) They were mixing ground pigment, and then I presume adding binder and thinners; You were trying to mix 2 ready-mixed paints.
2) You've presumed that Humbrol white and black contain nothing but a single tone of pigment, binder and thinners. My experience indicates that the whites contain a yellow binder, and a blue pigment to relieve the yellow of the binder.
:sofa:

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017 08:47 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

You're almost certainly right; and I would not assume that equal black/white inputs, whatever the pigments, would produce a RGB value near #80/80/80 (I'm more used to working with screen displays than paint specs). The evidence suggests the mixture the railway company used ended up (new) significantly nearer the black end of the table than the midpoint but, like most paints of the time, it lightened with exposure to the elements. Since Phoenix supply 'matched' paint for many 1:1 scale preservation projects I was happy to take their interpretation as my 'standard'. The real lesson I drew was that mixing by volume (as the Airfix system does) is not reliable for me. Mixing by eye might be better - it is what I do naturally, but badly, when painting with watercolour - providing you can allow for the difference in hue between (some) wet and dry enamels and acrylics. I'm not sure I can, so I'm sticking to pre-mixed solutions until I find something better.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017 12:06 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

: --------------------
@Dordogne Dodger - I'd suspect more tonal change with the "white" than the black since it was almost certainly the same "carbon black" pigment famously used on the Ford Model T and that didn't fade noticably in a decade or so.

More generally I'd agree that "colour consistency" is probably more important to a model maker (well unless you have references that show different weathering across a fleet of $subject).

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017 20:52 pm 
Site Owner

pbcoleman wrote:
Where could one get hold of a copy today ?
I was lucky and visited Vince at Models4Sale shortly after he'd cleared modelling stuff from a deceased person's residence. Maybe e-bay would be your best bet :idea: