Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 03:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2015 13:28 pm 
Bronze Bar
Bronze Bar

: --------------------
: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
It looks as though the needle may not be centred in the nozzle

My WIP
My Portfolio

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2015 13:54 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Possible a slight build up of paint in the outer nozzle causing the airflow to be diverted.
Try rotating the outer nozzle cap slightly and see if the spray deflection flows the rotation.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2015 00:58 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks guys! I played about a little with both of those suggestions and it seemed to spray a little less off centre this time! I'll have to experiment more when I get the airbrush out again. Something I forgot to mention earlier though, which may be relevant, is that since the spray pattern issues my airbrush seems to take a lot longer to spray out a cup full of water when cleaning... :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2015 01:04 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Model Portfolio
Sounds like a blockage :idea: Maybe a deep clean is required :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2015 07:12 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: AMSIG member
I think theres two problems.
Low paint delivery could be caused by a failed seal.
The offset pattern, if not caused by a bent needle tip, could be caused by a cracked needle nozzle.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2015 08:35 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

slicedbread wrote:
Something I forgot to mention earlier though, which may be relevant, is that since the spray pattern issues my airbrush seems to take a lot longer to spray out a cup full of water when cleaning

Sounds like a bit of dried paint build-up in the nozzle tube. It does not take a great amount to cause problems given the very fine tolerances involved. It could also explain the offset spray pattern.
Try taking the nozzle out, remove the o-ring and soak the nozzle overnight in something like cellulose thinners.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2015 18:14 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks all :cheers: It'll be a few days before I get a chance to play about with the airbrush again, but I'll try some of these ideas out and report back! :cat:

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2017 14:40 pm 

Hi All, I wounder if I can ask the collective a question? I have recently returned to building (after 40 years away) Airfix models mainly WW2 aircraft, and after a couple of hand painted attempts i wanted to move on to Airbrushing. I got a Revell(name said under my breath) starter compressor, but the regulator that you connect the air hose to is to small I believe it is 1/4 inch. I would like to know if there is an adapter available so I can connect my air-hoses (dont know eh size but they are bigger). I have email Revell who put me in contact with a company in Hertfordshire which no longer operates. Apologizes if this is in the wrong section of the forum, i have tried to attach a phot so you all can see but failed miserably. hope you can help

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar 2017 00:52 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Model Portfolio
Please take time to have a good look around the site :geek: Using the search function may reveal a topic you can add to or find an answer to your question :idea: I have moved your post to the appropriate, pre-existing thread :smt024:
Please take time to introduce yourself here :wink:

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar 2017 13:09 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

I ebayed (probably from the Everythingairbrush ebay shop) a set of adaptors for about a fiver, it has an assortment of 1/4 <> 1/8 BSP connectors that are the usual size, also a selection of other fittings including Badger adaptors.

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar 2017 20:10 pm 

many thanks PeeDeep i wil have a look :D :D

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2017 03:12 am 
Black Star
Black Star

Hi all,

I saw this "cheapo" airbrush online. Wondering if anyone has any advice on it and whether it would be appropriate for a beginner wanting to start practicing airbrushing.

Any advice would be most welcome!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Brush-Co ... 19ed5bcbc2

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2017 06:05 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Hi Mike, it might be O.K., the compressor may lack a little "grunt", but before buying, check out "wish.com", as I have picked up a couple of double action Airbrushes, for around $20 AUS, (cheap Dremel Tools as well).
Go the Crows!!!
Mike

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2017 07:01 am 
Red Star
Red Star

Looks ok to me. The 0.3mm nozzle is the standard middle of the range size - perfect for most 1/72 scale work. If you want to do 1/72 mottle paint on an Fw190, a 0.2mm nozzle will be easier to use. If you want to spay a single colour over a 1/35 tank or 1/24 car, it's a lot quicker with a 0.5mm nozzle. (Once you're hooked you'll buy the other sizes. :D )

I find the integral paint cup (which this brush has) easier to clean. Some airbrushes have a screw-on paint cup but the hole down through the 'throat' is pretty small.

The paint cup on top is pretty standard these days. Some other brushes rely on a syphon tube to a paint jar slung under the body, but you need a lot of paint in the jar to get it working. With the cup on top you can literally put just one drop of paint in the top for a few seconds spraying a touch-up or a small part.

The compressor will be running all the time as it has no air storage tank. With a tank you get a break from the compressor noise once the tank is full. If you do decide to add a tank later you'll definitely need a quick release coupling (so the tank doesn't empty when you remove the airline from the brush - which you'll want to do when cleaning the brush). You might like to consider a quick-release anyway as screwing the airline fitting on and off might get annoying. This is the thing I'm taking about: https://www.bnamodelworld.com/u-star-ua ... cce38b2e78
The 1/8 fitting is the most common for airbrushes.

So yeah, go for it, and have some fun. :thumb:

Modeling is in my blood... well, the fumes are.
My Portfolio
A bit about me

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2017 08:53 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Given its working pressure is given as 15psi I think it might struggle a bit with some types of paint, for example I have found that some Humbrol acrylics require a higher pressure, possibly down to the rather course grain of some of the pigments.

I seem to recall some posters on here have tried using similar nail-art compressors and soon ended up moving on to something more substantial.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67