Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 03:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Paint removal
PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun 2015 17:02 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

: Model Portfolio
Sounds like a plan!
Another thing is that I have got my hands on some oven cleaner that I'll have a go at cleaning the fuselage halves, and I will leave the portholes in, that way I can see how clear parts react, if they get ruined it won't matter as I am replacing them with kristal Kleer anyway.
Just need to take some pics first for a before and after.

P.S. more good news! I just remembered this kit had an extra canopy when I bought it back in march 1991, I just found it, in my spares box waiting to be used after 24 years!

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun 2015 19:38 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

phil b. wrote:
P.S. more good news! I just remembered this kit had an extra canopy when I bought it back in march 1991, I just found it, in my spares box waiting to be used after 24 years!

Isn't it wonderful when things work out that way. I don't remember buying them but found I had all the Aeroclub bits I need to spruce up my 3 MBox Mossies.

David

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun 2015 21:42 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I have recently painted a model with the new (made in UK) Humbrol enamel nr. 83. A few days after the application, I changed my mind and wanted to remove the paint. As mentioned above many times, I expected caustic soda (kitchen sink cleaner) to do the trick. Yet nothing happened.... at all! I have tried all of the above mentioned methods to get it off. Oven cleaner, caustic soda, Dettol, brake fluid. Non of them worked! :hithead: Humbrol have definitely changed their formula!

Before the soak in a solution of caustic soda:

After the soak:
No effect whatsoever! Even rubbing a stiff brush over it did not help. :?

Fortunately, I have managed to find something that does work and it works excellently. It's Revell's paint remover.

I don't know what they have put into it but it removes absolutely any modeling paint. Both enamels and acrylics. Also, it does not affect the plastic underneath.

Another unexpected use is cleaning old brushes with clogged paint. Just let the brush soak for a few minutes and wipe on a cloth. Repeat until the brush is clean and for really stubborn paint at the base of the hairs, use a needle to comb through the wet hairs and flush the residue away with the paint remover. It works a treat! :thumb:

Erik

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jun 2015 15:08 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: --------------------
: Group Build Guru
: AMSIG member
I think a lot of the info on paint stripping which has gone before in this thread is now out of date.
Drain [or Sink] cleaner contains 5% or less of caustic soda, the same or less than the oven cleaners. I've recently tried; MrMuscle, Dettol, fresh brake fluid, drain cleaner, other oven cleaners; and none of them worked.
We need to do some more tests.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jun 2015 15:44 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I don't think it's the percentage. I have tried pure NaOH crystals in hot water and even that did not work. The new Humbrol enamel is just like acrylic: It is not affected by caustic soda, brake fluid or Dettol. In whatever percentage.

The Revell stuff is the only thing I have found so far to dissolve both enamels and acrylics.

Erik

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul 2015 14:11 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

I've bought a bottle of this Revell paint remover from an ebay seller.
I'm fed up with iffy, uncontrolled semi-working paint removers.
I'll try this on a subject which has some old Humbrol enamel paints on it.

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul 2015 20:53 pm 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

: Moderator
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
: Group Build Leader
I've been using Dettol recently which has stripped paint that oven cleaner didn't touch. Just dunk your parts in it for 24 hours or so and then scrub off with a toothbrush. Much safer and better smelling then most other stripping agents as well.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul 2015 19:09 pm 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

I have read the whole of this thread thro with a view to removing paint from a canopy. Many suggestions such as FPS, brake fluid and even caustic soda but i am still confused if any actual strip the paint and leave the the plastic in its original shape and more to the point, if the canopy stays clear ??

Having recently purchased a kit with a pre-painted canopy, it requires a re-paint to a more accurate colour scheme, I don't know if its Enamel or acrylic.
Of course I cant afford to get this wrong so if somebody can give me a definite, clear answer it will save me a lot of worry
many thanks
Ian

Avro Lancaster Enthusiast.
Builder: RAF Station Grimsby diorama

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul 2015 19:20 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

In my experience no canopy is going to emerge crystal-clear from any sort of stripping process, even a gentle rub with normal thinners, so I think you have got to be prepared to strip first, then polish back to a clear surface (takes time, but with micro-cloths used properly - each level at right-angles to the previous, and never, ever, rubbed in a circular motion - even a duffer like myself can get a half-decent result). Of course, the easier answer is a vac-form replacement - unless, like me, you dread splitting the canopy when you cut it from its surround, and will do practically anything to avoid having to use them ...

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul 2015 19:50 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

When I used caustic soda it left canopies as clear as the manufacturer made them. I never tried brake fluid on canopies. FPS never worked for me at all, neither has dettol, or MrMuscle oven cleaner.
The paint stripper I got in BnQ slightly affected the grey plastic of the kit and fogged the canopy so I'd not recommend it all.
I got a bottle of Revell paint stripper. It was slow and reluctant to remove old Humbrol paint from a figure, but the paint did come off and it left the plastic clean. I've not tried it on a canopy tho.

If you're doing a full strip down I'd recommend you try caustic soda first. Get a jar of 'caustic soda', not caustic soda drain cleaner or sink cleaner as they only have 5% c/s and other ingredients.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul 2015 07:44 am 
Red Star
Red Star

Hi all, my Halifax experiment turned out not half bad, using oven pride brand oven cleaner. All the clear parts came up nice and shiny after a rinse, almost like they had been dipped in Kleer! So I now have a disasembled Halifax kit that looks brand new, however, this kit had no varnishes or matt coats put on, and the poly cement I used at the time is not really affected, which ironically means I may have to replace some of the turret glazings anyway!

I'm posting this from an iPad, when I get to the computer I'll get some photos up here so you can see what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul 2015 09:15 am 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

I shall pop out for some caustic soda Fred and try it, I will post the photos showing the results either way . . .

Avro Lancaster Enthusiast.
Builder: RAF Station Grimsby diorama

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul 2015 21:19 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

heres the photos from my experiment, first the before-

back in the early 90's i was building and painting kits with the old poly cement, then brush painting with humbrol enamels, then transfers straight on, no kleer coat or varnish whatsoever! proper old school modelling.

now what happened after a night in oven pride oven cleaner-

as you can see, i now have what looks like a brand new kit, the clear parts were not only de painted but cleaned as well, but the oven cleaner had no effect whatsover on the poly cement so i may still have to source replacements, but the upshot is this oven pride cleaner is perfectly safe for any part of a kit.

PostPosted: Thu 12 May 2016 08:56 am 
White Star
White Star

Hey everyone.

I want to make my home-made lacquer thinner and i'm looking for the formulation of Tamiya Lacquer Thinner, which is not a pure cellulose/lacquer thinner at all, because it does NOT interact with plastic and cleans & thins both acrylics and enamels -even Tamiya putty-.

As far as i could find, there are two ingredients, which are Methyl Isobutyl Ketone and Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether (Butylglycol). If i simply buy a liter of these two products and mix them 50:50 ratio, would i obtain my own Tamiya LT ? :juggle:

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2016 00:25 am 

Can confirm that Revell Paint remover doesn't work with humbrol paints at all. Tried to remove 1 week old paint (I got a change of mind about colour) and it can't remove the paint at all. Guess it is only for Revell paints, not Humbrol paints. Will try Tesco all purpose cleaner tomorrow for a luck, to see if it can work on detailed paint work removal or not.

Man, Humbrol should make "remover" version for its own paints like what Revell did for its paints.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun 2016 11:23 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Diablo667 wrote:
Can confirm that Revell Paint remover doesn't work with humbrol paints at all..
You probably mean Humbrol acrylic paint because it did work on my Humbrol enamels. On the old and the new "made in the UK" ones.

Erik

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2016 14:00 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I've tried Revell paint remover on Vallejo model air and brought the paint off almost in seconds without damage to the underlying plastic.. Am going to try with Humbrol acrylics/enamels, so will post later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10