Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 19 Sep 2017 16:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: How to airbrush
PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2016 00:15 am 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

One other thing I would add. Build up of paint inside the nozzle can affect performance, even when the needle still appears to be projecting normally from the tip. I have some micro brushes for cleaning inside nozzles before giving them a good blow through with hot thinner/airbrush cleaner. I know a lot of modellers have ultra sound cleaners for cleaning the hard to get places.

peebeep

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr 2016 11:27 am 
Green Star
Green Star

I have been given a brand new second hand (brand new in pack purchased not long before a mate passed and it was unused) badger airbrush, Its the basic set number 250 I think.
I don't wish to appear rude to the family that passed it on to me so I have said ill have a try with it.

Does anyone have any hints on how to work with this model of airbrush, I will one day look at getting a better airbrush if I can get on with this ok.

I have numerous models that can be used as test peices

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr 2016 12:40 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

These are labelled as an 'airbrush', in fact there is next to zip control over the spray pattern and are best described as a miniature spray gun. You need a very reliable and strong air source to get the siphon working, canned propellant usually gives up the ghost after a few seconds running.

peebeep

RevellAtions

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr 2016 16:35 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Model Portfolio
Use it the way that you would a spray can. I owned one of these and found it to be worthless for all practical purposes. But if you MUST spray then it's better than nothing. Airbrushes come in three basic "styles". What you have is one type. "Single action" is another which allows for adjustment of the spray pattern but it's just too much work, really. Then the "double action" which is a real airbrush and allows you to do some work. There are numerous sub-types and categories, but those are the basic ones.

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr 2016 18:46 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
peebeep wrote:
These are labelled as an 'airbrush', in fact there is next to zip control over the spray pattern and are best described as a miniature spray gun. You need a very reliable and strong air source to get the siphon working, canned propellant usually gives up the ghost after a few seconds running.

That said, they work remarkably well, and are extremely easy to clean. Practice your masking and paint thinning mixtures to your heart's content, and never let go of this very effective tool. When you come to spraying your 1:24 models, they are just as good as, if not better than, many expensive pieces of equipment that are finnicky to clean and operate, and won't provide a wide spray area that can give an even cover.
Masking. Practice.

dancho wrote:
Use it the way that you would a spray can. I owned one of these and found it to be worthless for all practical purposes. But if you MUST spray then it's better than nothing. Airbrushes come in three basic "styles". What you have is one type. "Single action" is another which allows for adjustment of the spray pattern but it's just too much work, really. Then the "double action" which is a real airbrush and allows you to do some work. There are numerous sub-types and categories, but those are the basic ones.

I got one when I was 13. Not worthless at all (see above). Cheap, but not worthless. It is a single-action, external mix, as is the Badger 350. The external mix is what makes it less-desirable from the point-of-view of control of atomisation, and raises the minimum required air pressure (About 20 PSI). It's also what makes it easier to clean. The single action is the airflow - a simple trigger that isn't much more than an on-off. You can, with practice, regulate airflow a little better. Not much. As Peebeep said, your pattern is restricted to wide and wider, and you screw down the spring-loaded thing on top of the paint jar to make the pattern wider.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr 2016 20:22 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

What Brews said. I've got one, and a 350, still use both of them from time-to-time, mainly for painting track ballast and scenery, they allow me to cover decent areas in a sensible time, and also work the 'wet-on-wet' technique with different colours loaded in each. Excellent for learning technique, and not ashamed to be seen in many an artist's studio, so I'd say 'spray on'!

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr 2016 23:08 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
I used mine to paint hot pink "go fast" stripes on a Morris Minor 850 OHV in 1980. One of my friends, who later became a minor "star" of radio and television in Australia, was handed down a white VW Beetle 1200cc, and he had red "go fast stripes" painted on it professionally (at what my other friends and I considered a ridiculous waste of money). I reckon mine were just as good :) However, my mother was not impressed, and she painted over them again some time later.

Actually, we also painted a union jack on the roof, and again, it was pretty slick. Just goes to show what you can do with your skills you develop at modelling :)

Post subject: Airbrush starter :)
PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb 2017 16:36 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

: --------------------
So my airbrush and compressor arrived. I was sat there looking at it thinking where do I start. I dug out the old broken models from the loft and got stuck in.

First attempt left me almost broken wondering how people do this!! it was awful.

Second attempt better. I realised I had too much pressure and the paint mix was too thin first time round. Corrected that!

1st attempt with enamel pleased as punch!

Any comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated :D

Last edited by trev2304 on Sat 04 Feb 2017 16:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Airbrush starter :)
PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb 2017 16:41 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

It just takes time to get things right such as the ratio of paint to thinner, getting the ideal pressure and then learning how to spray smoothly and uniformly. I've been spraying for about 7 months and still haven't fully mastered it yet. Be patient and keep trying. You'll get there eventually.

Builds on the bench & My portfolio

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb 2017 22:10 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

I sprayed my first model, with my sparmax max4 airbrush, using Tamiya acrylics, everything went great, the results were amazing, however the paint seemed to scratch of incredibly easy, I was wondering if this is normal or shouldn't it happen. I was also wondering if there are anyways to stop this. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb 2017 16:39 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Low adhesion is a recognised problem with Tamiya paints, and acrylics more generally, which is why some people use a primer first (although others are vehemently against it!). There are two things to prevent smudging/scratching once you've sprayed - firstly, leave plenty of time between spraying and handling (for me its often weeks rather than days - no need to be quite so extreme, but try to make it 24 hrs minimum); secondly seal with varnish (the "laquer" coat on full-size car repairs). You might want to do this twice if you're adding transfers - gloss first for the decals to adhere to, then matt or semi-matt as the final finish. Actually, there's a third point - minimise all handling of the painted model, and try never to touch the finish with bare hands. Invest in a pair of cotton gloves and only pick the model up with those, from the point where it has had its final wash before spraying. This really will improve your results, and soon becomes second nature.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb 2017 21:04 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks for the advice Dordogne Dodger, very informative

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb 2017 21:20 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

No problem; we're all still learning, even if we're at slightly different points on the curve. The day I think I know everything is the day I know I failed to wake up that morning!

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb 2017 22:03 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

First off I've never had a problem with Tamiya paint adhesion, in fact I've found it superior to other media in this respect even on bare plastic, but as DD alludes it's best sprayed over a primer coat. Whatever media you're using, it's worth remembering that any airbrush finish is only going to be a few microns thickness and this is counter to what is required for a robust surface. Beware of over-thinning, this is likely to lead to a very fragile finish.

RevellAtions

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb 2017 19:58 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

so my first proper attempt could of gone better

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb 2017 20:17 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
See here :idea:

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb 2017 21:39 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Thanks Ratch. I knew exactly what I had done when the mask came off. was the panel lines it seeped into

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10