Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 19 Sep 2017 16:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul 2015 22:07 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Model Portfolio
I feel the need to promote my world-shattering video on the subject of post-shading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndYlzQII1YY

I was surprised to see so many views.... must be the popularity of the ATF!

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016 13:13 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

: --------------------
Well, I just made my first attempt at panel washing and it failed somewhat miserably due to the fact that Vallejo model wash doesn't seem to want to wipe off acrylic paint. A quick google suggests this is common so I guess I'll be putting that pot in storage and will consider it another lesson. Hey ho, aren't learning curves fun? I figured I'll just put one or two thin coats of paint over it to dull it down a bit - I only did the underside ('just in case') so if the worst comes to the worst I'll just hang it up halfway through a roll. Not the end of the world.

So, does anyone have suggestions as to what wash WILL work with acrylics paints? I'm a little restricted as my modelling space has no ventilation so things which require smelly cleansing agents are out. I'd also like something which I can just buy at this point as my focus is on improving my painting and learning how to weather, I don't really want to mess around experimenting with mixing. I've seen the brand Flory bandied about a few forums, does anyone use it?

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016 13:52 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

I'm using Flory's Wash as well as my own mixture (destilled water, IPA, Window cleaner and pigments/rubbed pastels)
Works very nice, always possible to remove all and start again with a dumped cloth. Only water is needed, perfect for acrylics.

When you coated the acrylic you can use also thinned oil color. Flory's can be thinned and mixed as far as you want;
in original it's quite thick. Shake it well before using.

If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything. -E.Hemingway-
The Portfolio
The WIP Area

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016 14:08 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

MattNSW wrote:
Well, I just made my first attempt at panel washing and it failed somewhat miserably due to the fact that Vallejo model wash doesn't seem to want to wipe off acrylic paint....I don't really want to frick around experimenting with mixing. I've seen the brand Flory bandied about a few forums, does anyone use it?
Did you gloss coat before applying the wash? Most washes, even the clay based ones, will adhere to untreated paint surfaces and be difficult to remove, especially if it's matt. I recommend the Flory washes, they do exactly what it says on the lable and Phil's tutorial videos show exactly how to apply then remove the excess.

peebeep

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016 14:56 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
There's a thread about Flory washes here :wink:

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016 15:58 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I've also just received some Vallejo wash and can confirm its very stubborn to get of if you leave it to set too long. I still find using thinned oil colours works the best and I've tried just about everything for panel lines.. Quite frustrating when these are supposed to be proprietary products..

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2016 10:34 am 
Red Star
Red Star

Just a note about paint spatter during post shading and highlighting. I get around this by placing a piece of paper towel along side the area I'm working on, gently turn on the airbrush and let any spatter go on the towel, then draw the airbrush over the area I need to work on.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun 2017 00:16 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

So i have been trying to get some depth and darkness into my panel lines on my tornado.

Talk about problems! Pre shading is just a mess as I cannot seem to air spray a tight straight line, then when I over paint in grey it all but completely disappears. So I thought id try the humbrol enamel dark grey wash and the whole thing now has tiny splodges hear the panel lines where I have lightly touched the surface with a brush.

What does everyone else do/prefer and any tips at all?

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun 2017 09:59 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

IMO the answer to pre and post shading, and panel washes is, unless the panel is an access hatch of some form, DON'T!

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun 2017 14:27 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

If you're not airbrushing then the preshade/panel line wash thing is not going to work very well. Also, unless you use smelly enamels for either the paint or the wash it isn't going to work (you need one to be the opposite of the other). For low-odor painting with a brush, you'll need to learn to post-shade with ground charcoal and highlight panel lines with a pencil. No it does not just rub off.

Weathering is important.

You can go with this...

...or you can do with that...

...or you can go with this...

...or you can go with that...

...or you can go with this...

...or you can go with that...

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6