Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 02:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016 12:49 pm 
White Star
White Star

: --------------------
Hey everyone. Did anyone try extracting the paints from their jars into glass or plastic/pet bottles with droppers (Vallejo style) ?

I did..But it seems like, Xylene in paints reacted with the Poly Etyhlen and warped the bottles. I've also learned that Xylene evaporates through the LDPE -which is actually interesting. I've observed that the bottles enlarged a bit somehow and the exterior of them smells paint despite any leakage or something else. :scratch:

I'm such a clumsy person, usually drip paint around (including my dresses :joker: ), and having a hard time to find perfect "milky" mix for airbrushing. I'm currently using separate droppers for each color in order not to mix the colors -taped one dropper to each paint jar :lol: - I thought, doing such a thing would be way more useful and practical for me..But i failed big time :?

I've changed my LDPE's with glass bottles, but their dropper tip is downwards, one has to shake the bottle in order to get a drop :silence: Which is quite inappropriate for me. Thinking about something else to make them useful for me..

You can find the picture of my glass bottles below.

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016 13:24 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Guru
: AMSIG member
Have you tried HDPE bottles?

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016 14:33 pm 
White Star
White Star

Unfortunately not, the only ones i've found were LDPE (i suppose, they had a thin, semi-transparent body). Vallejo bottles however, seems -and feels- thicker and more durable than the ones i bought, they are probably HDPE. However, according to the topic i've read, same thing happens with HDPE as well -only slower than LDPE-

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016 16:08 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

I've never found it necessary to extract all the paint from a jar, but when I'm thinning more than I expect to airbrush in one session, or mixing a colour I want to match for further coats, I store the balance in a glass airbrush jar with a metal screw top. For decanting, both initial extraction, thinning, and loading the airbrush cup (if not spraying straight from a jar) I use a plastic pipette. These give reasonably precise control and, if flushed through with appropriate thinner after each use, will last a reasonable time. When there's a build-up of dried paint inside one you simply ditch it and select a new one. For more accurate measurement of mixtures I do sometimes use a syringe, again flushed out straight after use and rinsed with water to protect the rubber 'piston ring', but I'm not a fan of glass droppers, in my experience not all 'drops' are equal and relying purely on surface tension/gravity to transfer paint is more likely to end with blobs all over the workbench rather than where you want it to go.

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016 20:29 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

With regards to the plastic pipette, I purchased 100 of these from eBay for a relatively low price, about £5 if I remember correctly. Each time I used one, I labelled it with the colour I used. Each colour had it's own pipette. Maybe a bit over the top, but it worked for me.

Mark.

PostPosted: Tue 10 May 2016 07:23 am 
White Star
White Star

Dordogne Dodger wrote:
if flushed through with appropriate thinner after each use, will last a reasonable time. When there's a build-up of dried paint inside one you simply ditch it and select a new one.

That's exactly what i tried last night. Picked two contrast colors (yellow & black), got some black in a clean pipette first, dropped on tissue. Then i flushed the pipette with thinner throughly. Then i got some yellow, dropped on the tissue again, no black spots, pure yellow! I cleaned the pipette again and it seemed perfectly clean!

Felt quite stupid not trying that before :roll: Instead of dropper bottles, i should have invested on pipettes :lol:

PostPosted: Tue 10 May 2016 09:19 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
Time to introduce yourself here :P

PostPosted: Tue 10 May 2016 12:22 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I really think it's about time Humbrol and other manufacturers designed an easy pouring solution Vallejo style or something. Especially with the 14 ml tins.

PostPosted: Wed 11 May 2016 06:12 am 
White Star
White Star

Wish so hard! :angel: