Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 03:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 11 May 2016 06:20 am 
White Star
White Star

: --------------------
Good Morning everyone! I'm currently building a Nissan Skyline R34. Painted it with Humbrol 220 Ferrari Red -seems quite devil :angryfire: -

I've covered it with a large brush with pure Future but there were minor brush streaks here and there, so i did another coat with brush -this time diluted with water-. Didn't fix! After that, i've airbrushed the problematic areas, but Future is quite pain in the back when airbrushed (orange peel), so i've used another brush coat. After messing up big time, i decided to remove it and re-coat.

On the internet, it says Windex works well, but here in Turkey, our "Windex" alternative products don't contain ammonia or IPA. Tried removing with it, didn't even affect the Future :lol: I've also read that Alcohol (Denaturated or IPA) works well both with thinning and cleaning. I'll give them a go tonight, i really dont think that neither of them would affect the finished paint as i've sprayed it last Friday :joker:

PostPosted: Wed 11 May 2016 09:15 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

See skypainter303's post on his AMT 66 Ford Mustang. He used Oven Cleaner to remove chrome from engine parts, may-be this will wor.
Mike

PostPosted: Wed 11 May 2016 10:47 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

I think oven cleaner will certainly remove the Klear/Future, but also most likely the paint. Household ammonia (which is a pretty dilute solution - my bottle says 9.2%) gets Klear off without touching enamel paint, providing you work it a bit with a brush as the Klear starts to go gooey, and don't forget to wash well with water afterwards. Ammonia is a common cleaning chemical, particularly for glass and 'shiny' surfaces, so it's worth reading the content list for cleaning sprays/solutions in your local shop/supermarket/DIY shed to see what has it. I'm just impressed that you (a) got Hu220 to thin enough to spray, and (b) got it to dry. Beats me on both counts!

PostPosted: Wed 11 May 2016 11:39 am 
White Star
White Star

I'll give it a go tonight, can't dare to use ammonia directly, i'll dilute it with water and IPA :)

PostPosted: Wed 11 May 2016 11:41 am 
White Star
White Star

wingnutmike wrote:
He used Oven Cleaner to remove chrome
Worth to mention that, generic household bleacher works pretty fast and well for stripping chrome from plastic :pirate:

PostPosted: Thu 12 May 2016 07:41 am 
White Star
White Star

Bad news..

Tried to strip it with ammonia first, but my bottle of ammonia was completely ruined, had lost its odour and strength, so i tried with IPA. With several trials, i've managed to remove it partially, but once it's turned into a mess, i've stripped the whole paint with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner and sprayed again :D

PostPosted: Thu 12 May 2016 08:46 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
I don't understand why you would only want to strip the layer of Klear :scratch: Surely, if the paint has orange peeled you need to strip the lot and start again :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu 12 May 2016 09:15 am 
White Star
White Star

That's because i'm still a lamer at modelling :silence:

Jokes aside, i've brushed several coats of Future in 2 days, but the last coat i applied left some brush marks. I wanted to fix it by brushing more Future first, but didn't fix.

Main coat color had some orange peel as well actually :lol: -despite sanding between 1000 and 8000 grit under water- :scratch:

PostPosted: Thu 12 May 2016 11:11 am 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

You can use Future to remove Future, despite it seeming counter intuitive. You'll need water nearby to bathe or rinse the model before the freshly applied Future sets. Personally, I think I'd try to smooth out the existing over coating with fine sanding sponges before attempting removal. Ripples or orange peel can be smoothed out and the Future buffed up to a good shine.

peebeep

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

PostPosted: Thu 12 May 2016 11:34 am 
White Star
White Star

Did the exact same thing (smoothing out), no chance :shrug: It all smeared up and crater-like Future-less holes appeared. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan 2017 14:54 pm 
White Star
White Star

Sounds like you've got in a mess there! I normally spray the stuff with a couple of drops of water added to stop the orange peel effect. I needed to remove it from a canopy once and a 10% solution of household ammonia did it for me. Best done in a well-ventilated area though.

It's a bit late now but I use Vallejo spray laquer on cars. Looks great!

Good luck anyway!

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan 2017 21:11 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Model Portfolio
Can't get ammonia window cleaner in the U.K., huh? If it makes you feel any better, I can't get Pollyfilla, Revell Paints or decent tea.

dancho's model collection dancho's blog