Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Wed 20 Sep 2017 01:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov 2016 17:23 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I used to be a real stickler for the correct colour call out on the instructions, often, like some others here, travels miles to my LMS to pick up the correct one if I didn't have it. However, as my collection of paints subsequently became larger and my painting techniques became broader in terms of preshading, post lightening, weathering, panel line washes, highlighting etc, I found it increasingly unnecessary to be so accurate and fussy as the final results were often quite a way away from the original. At the moment I'm completing the camo on a Panzer I from 1935. The call outs are Erdgelb, Dunklgrun and Brun RAL colours. I will uses the nearest I have rather than spend £20 on, say, Vallejo Model Air set..

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov 2016 18:20 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
I think call outs from instruction sheets are to be viewed with scepticism :think: Most give the nearest colour in their own recommended paint range rather than an accurate colour (and in Revell's case its always a mix) :mad:

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2016 11:13 am 
Red Star
Red Star

Ha, Ratch, I just started a Revell Tornado GR1 today and it has a few of the usual colour mixes that I will now totally ignore. For example, seat covers:- 85% Nato Olive and 15% Black.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2016 11:55 am 
Bronze Bar
Bronze Bar

: --------------------
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
As much as I am partial to a Revell kit, their painting guides are terrible...as you say Daz, 50%white, 15%red and 35% light blue...its enogh to drive a man to drink :fear:

My WIP
My Portfolio

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2016 14:22 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I tend to ignore the Revell paint call outs and research them myself then source my colours from my current stash.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2016 14:35 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

And another one who automatically ignores colours in Revell destructions unless they're as clear as, say, "gloss black" or "RLM 02".

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2016 18:48 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Don't get me started on Revell colour call-outs. 1:48 Tornado calls for white u/c bays and wheel hubs. Fine for many fast jets, but not Tornadoes!

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2016 07:10 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

If Revell only knew how bad that most modellers react to this, at least put FS numbers. I hate it to such an extent that I will actually avoid Revell unless there is no other choice. the kits I did recently from Revell of an Su-24 and SU-25 were very hard to research the proper colours and even now when I look at the completed model there is always the doubt in my mind that I got it wrong.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2016 12:05 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Brews wrote:
Don't get me started on Revell colour call-outs. 1:48 Tornado calls for white u/c bays and wheel hubs. Fine for many fast jets, but not Tornadoes!
What colour, then Brews??? Looking at images they look white to me? :shrug:

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2016 13:19 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Dazman wrote:
they look white to me? :shrug:
White is close, but not quite right. It's a light grey, FS 16622 (or 36622 if you make it matt).

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2016 14:07 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Hmm, cheers for that, Brews...

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2016 18:25 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Model Portfolio
spaceman wrote:
I hate it to such an extent that I will actually avoid Revell unless there is no other choice.
I'm with you Roger :nod: Only 14 of my 386 stash are Revell :spam:

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2016 19:33 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Paws4thot wrote:
I'd never noticed it before but you're right; the rust/oil trail from a vent on a ship should be no wider than the vent it's trailing from.
Doesn't that overlook the effect of wind and gravity? Granted you're not going to get an 8" trail direct from a 6" vent, but as the vessel heels/pitches and/or wind backs/veers, the trail will cover a different 6" around the vent, so it's quite possible for it to spread to 12" or more, even ignoring the way effluent drips/runs/blows across a surface to give the 'smear' effect.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2016 19:43 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: AMSIG member
Brews wrote:
Dazman wrote:
they look white to me? :shrug:
White is close, but not quite right. It's a light grey, FS 16622 (or 36622 if you make it matt).
And there is another point; RAF use paints to British Standard, German to RAL etcetera. There may be a cross similarity to FS numbers but frequently they are quite different, even to my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2016 19:58 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Wheels and u/c bays get filthy, though, so it's a reasonable starting point. If BS and RAL had colour servers like FS, then fair game :)

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec 2016 16:24 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Dordogne Dodger wrote:
Paws4thot wrote:
I'd never noticed it before but you're right; the rust/oil trail from a vent on a ship should be no wider than the vent it's trailing from.
Doesn't that overlook the effect of wind and gravity? Granted you're not going to get an 8" trail direct from a 6" vent, but as the vessel heels/pitches and/or wind backs/veers, the trail will cover a different 6" around the vent, so it's quite possible for it to spread to 12" or more, even ignoring the way effluent drips/runs/blows across a surface to give the 'smear' effect.

There will also be times when the vented liquid fails to touch the ship under way at all due to these effects. I might have over-exaggerated how narrow the trail should be, but I was talking about cases where the trail from the 6 inch vent has been more like 6 feet wide!! Also, I was born in Glasgow, grew up in Dumbarton, holidayed in places like Ayrshire, Aberdeenshire and along the Moray Firth coast and presently live in the Western Isles.

In short, I grew up living with ships sized from lobster boats up to large container ships and bulk carriers and the Cunard Queens.

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2017 13:50 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Brews wrote:
Ratch could have expected a much more lively discussion on this point alone. I really liked WEM Colourcoats enamels, although they were thin and "scale colour". I think that the "scale colour" was lip service. No one paint can be scale colour for all scales unless ... wait for it ... colour can't be scaled.
Hi Brews,

Please forgive my selective quotation. I own Colourcoats now and have since 2014, but was a happy customer prior to that. We've done a tremendous amount of work in understanding the colours we make and where they came from. A few have been updated but by and large I am very happy with what we have.

The reason I quoted is because I wondered where you heard the claim that Colourcoats were "scaled". I can honestly say that I've never heard that but a large exercise we've been doing behind the scenes has been checking our colours against the real life standard they're supposed to match. With the odd exception that has required update due to since-debunked references, every colour in our large range matches the real colour.

In otherwords, Colourcoats are not scaled at all - it you buy RAF Dark Green from us, you get RAF Dark Green. There are no colours in our range that are "scaled". The only instances where some engineering has been done between a real life sample and our paint has taken place on selected historical colours which were either paint types or on substrates known to colour-shift over the decades that have passed since they were fresh. In those instances, John Snyder has done some reverse-aging work to get back to the colour it should have been using his extensive experience and knowledge with different paint formulations, but again no attempt has ever been made in Colourcoats' history to pre-fade colours for so-called "scale effect".

Colourcoats is very much alive, well, and growing both in sales and colour range. They're still manufactured wholly in the UK, and we operate out of Aberdeenshire. :)

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2017 17:30 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

@SovereignHobbies - I'm pleased to hear it, because IMO "scaling colour" should give the same effect as "standing further from the subject", and if you do that all colours tend to a mid to dark grey, and "markings" should largely vanish!