Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 19 Sep 2017 16:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2017 13:08 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

: --------------------
Hello All: I was asked in the Airfix figures gallery how I use oil paints and in particular how I do scarlet clothing, so here goes. Just remember my skills are fairly limited; when I go on the Planetfigure website my jaw invariably drops at the sheer ability and skill demonstrated by real figure painters.

I always start with a base coat of Humbrol 60 - scarlet. I then use a combination of Humbrol 61 - flesh and Naples Yellow oil paint to make highlights. For shadows I use Alizari Crimson oil paint. You could mix in black oil paint for shadows but I tend to stay with the crimson. I generally stipple or draw a damp brush along the divide between colours to blend them. Eventually, I bring everything together with a thin, transparent, coat/filter of Scarlet Lake oil paint.

I also thin oil paints with Japan Drier (Dryer?). Otherwise, it will take weeks for the paint to dry.

For faces I've found the Life Colour acrylic flesh set works consistently. I only recently bought the Vallejo flesh tone set and it seems to work fine. Some years ago I had a bad experience with Vallejo paints and swore off them. I could not find a suitable thinning agent. The flesh tone set seems to thin with water so no complaints thus far.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
HD.