Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Mon 21 Aug 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013 20:16 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
What will you be building H51?
James

Updated to for kit codes 10280-1/9 10280/10280/A10280

Airfix club #597359               My Portfolio                My Works in Progress

Last edited by PaveShadow on Sat 14 Dec 2013 17:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2013 05:15 am 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

: Model Portfolio
Had firmly decided on the Prinz Eugen, however I had originally been considering converting the E-Boat or S Boote to be more correct into an R -Boote. In reading up on R boats noticed that the S30-37 of the 1939 class of S-Boote were very similar in dimensions to the S7-13 of the 1933 class, which is the subject of the Airfix Kit.
The 39 class boats are identical in draft and beam and only 400mm longer which looking over the photos and translating the bow shape from the drawings of the 39/40 class this would be accounted for by the fact that the 39 class had the bow tubes enclosed.
So the question I'm currently trying to answer is could the Airfix boat be converted to a 39 class? Still more studying of photos before I decide.
:scratch: :juggle:

Last edited by Heinkel51 on Thu 17 Oct 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2013 19:09 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

I look forward to seeing the outcome of your studies. If you decide it's workable, I may copy for one of my 1/400 boats (at that scale the extension of the hull could be simulated by two layers of paint to the stern :wink: )
James

Airfix club #597359               My Portfolio                My Works in Progress

PostPosted: Sun 06 Oct 2013 12:23 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

A busy weekend reading a few references, both :smt024: and good old fashioned books. The verdict is the S-30 class of boats were based on the S-10 class hull. The main changes required will be;
• Enclosed tubes
• Different port holes in hull
• Square windows in rear deck housing
• Vents and new windows arrangement for the top of the deck housings
• Two Lookout positions at rear of main cabin
So it’s doable – and would make a nice subject to sit between the S-11 and the S-100.
So I'll give it a go. :fear: :pray:
Time now to start making sketches. I'll be up in the Australian Alps for the first two to three weeks of the build. So expect my first post to be a bit lengthy.

Last edited by Heinkel51 on Thu 17 Oct 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Oct 2013 22:08 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: --------------------
I'm going to be very intrested in your build,too. I've long wanted to do something along the same line,just I was thinking of making of doing one of the intermediate style of boats with unarmored bridge and inclosed tubes. Good luck on your build ...!!!

PostPosted: Mon 07 Oct 2013 21:35 pm 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Group Build Leader
Nice bit of research done on your subject for the build. I'm very intrigued and also inpatient, because you have already given me too much to look forward to. Where are the alps in Australia. Would this be the Snowy River County, you have spoken of earlier? Enjoy your hols. See you back at the shipyard in a few weeks. :thumb: :boat:

My Portfolio

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct 2013 13:26 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Father Ennis wrote:
I'm going to be very interested in your build, too. I've long wanted to do something along the same line, just I was thinking of making of doing one of the intermediate style of boats with unarmored bridge and enclosed tubes. Good luck on your build ...!!!

For the intermediate style you could back engineer the Revell S-100. The hull is closer in shape and dimensions i.e. increased beam and a longer hull.
One reference to the S30 Class (I've decided against calling it the 39 class) indicates that they were originally built for an export order for China. Another reference says that they were built on the smaller hull due to a shortage of MB 501 engines as used in the larger hulled S-18 - S25. The S30 using the Daimler Benz M502. The references all agree on the size of the S-30 class but disagree on the tonnage. I’ve seen the displacement vary from 86 to 100 tons.
The S30 class were the first boats to have the torpedo tubes enclosed (or streamlined). The S26 boats were built later (marginally). Another reference also indicates that a forward gun position was added as per the S-100.
I’ve decided to build the S-30 as she was on being transferred to the Mediterranean. A small snag but not a show stopper is that I had intended to use some drawings for the S-26 and ‘translate’ them for the S30. Indications are the S26 class had a higher raised forecastle than the S30 so it is going to be a case of eyeing in the bow shape.
Bizzy, the Australian Alps (no where as impressive as the Alps you have in Europe) are in the southern part of New South Wales extending into North East Victoria. It is also called Snowy River Country. We normally park ourselves next to the Swampy Plains River at a place called Geehi which is a former airstrip. Our holiday maybe put on hold pending a possible parks closure due to the bad fire season in New South Wales.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013 01:34 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: --------------------
Thanks for the info. I will need to check my reference books as I've never gotten very far on this and will need the Airfix kit as I've had an S-100 in my stash for some time now. Mean time, I'll be following your progress here.

PostPosted: Sat 14 Dec 2013 16:46 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Back from holidays a week now and have managed to get the modelling bench set up.
I’ll be attempting the conversion of the Airfix E-Boat from a S7-13 type to a S30 type.
Given others have already posted the sprue shots I’ll restrict my self to the box
The contents
The kit was first issued in 1975 and the moulds are now starting to show a few signs of wear. Namely there is a small ridge on the edge of many parts which will need to trimmed off to get a good fit and moulding seams are now more apparent.
The main reference for this build has come from sourcing photos from the Internet. The book S-Boote German E-boats in action 1939-45 Has also been a good source of information. I did obtain a copy of Seaforth’s Shipcraft Series German S-Boats however have found it of marginal value for this build. Another good source on the net is http://www.prinzeugen.com/.
Side and plan views for the S-30 are scarce and the ones available need to be treated with caution. The prinzeugen site has a nice set of thumbnalis but comes with the warning IMPORTANT NOTE! many details of these thumbnail plans are erroneous and should not be considered more than a rough guide to appearance The plan from the Seahforth book has used the same plan and when studying it appears to be a mix of two types with the rear section after the bridge/deckhouse being a that of the S-26-29 class of boat. The net yielded a plan and elevation of S-57 (the second batch of the S-30 class) which will be the main point of reference for the deck arrangement and the hull modifications.
First task was going to be repositioning the portholes on the hull the S-30 having five not six portholes.
The first porthole is defintely not needed and will be blanked off. Looking at photos the rear two portholes do not need to be modified as indicated by the plan and I’m still trying to workout if the middle three need any modification.
But to make a start it was out with the razor saw and commenced with removing the detail from the deck part 32 and also the hatches on part 59

Next task will be to blank off the holes on the deck.

Last edited by Heinkel51 on Sat 14 Dec 2013 23:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 14 Dec 2013 17:01 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Nice start
James

PostPosted: Mon 16 Dec 2013 10:02 am 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

Cracking good start Peter. :thumb:

My Portfolio

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013 13:38 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Great (& brave) start, Pete :thumb:

Workbench: Italeri Ju87b (1/48); Tamiya Brewster Buffalo (1/48); Airfix 1804 Steam Loco

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec 2013 23:50 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Thank you for the comments. Not much modelling going on between work and the time of year :christmas: . However did make a start on those portholes. Using a razor saw cut out the panel with the porthole to be moved.
Glued a piece of scrap 20 thou card on the back to help with repositioning the cut out sections. Remembering to punch a hole for the porthole location.
The new group of three at 11mm centres. Still some puttying and cleaning up required.
More to follow :juggle:

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2013 14:22 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Nicely done :thumb:
James

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2017 07:03 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Hi,
If you haven't completed this yet, another decent reference is Squadron/Signal "Schnellboot in Action". This has photos of S54 and S61 sailing into Venice Harbour (after leaving mines in Taranto that were to sink HMS Ariadne) to accept the surrender of the 10,000 strong Italian garrison. I guess they just didn't want to fight on the other side. There are also a couple of photos of S30 class boats attached to the Afrika Flotilla showing the bow 20mm etc. PM to discuss if you wish.

Whatever the origins of the class (foreign order / shortage of MB 501s) it is fairly clear that the length of the Airfix hull is reasonable, as is the deck. You could consider using the Revell hull (cutting and shutting, and removing the wedge and exhaust ports) but this would probably make your build less than 51% Airfix.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr 2017 03:43 am 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Still watching this one..
James