Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 24 Jun 2017 21:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr 2017 17:17 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: --------------------
: Portfolio
Congratulations Peter ! :clap: :clap:

My ATF Workbench

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr 2017 13:26 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks Peter. Book duly received (ordered by my son Gavin) for my 76th birthday and what a present. I cannot praise it highly enough for the concise detail and depth of research. This has to be the benchmark for all future model history books. For those who dont know Penguin kits , they were the genesis of all plastic kits. First produced in the late 1930s to a quality that it took a long time in the 1950s to come up with the same accuracy and detail. I would recomend this book to anyone with an interest in plastic modelling history- it is a MUST HAVE for any modeller worth his salt! The photographic reproduction is superb. Congratulation for an obvious labour of love. Regards, Walter Snowdon.

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2017 15:30 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

I guess every single author is happy to read such a wonderful review - thank you Walter... The qualification "labour of love" has been made on other occasions and it pretty much sums up what I feel for the subject... Thanks again... ;-)
walter snowdon wrote:
Hello Peter. I have come across an intrigueing item in BRITISH TOY BOATS 1920 ONWARDS. In1939 Penguin introduced an all plastic model tugboat named MARY.. This came apparently in finished OR kit form, and appeared in the 1940/41 penguin catalogue along with two model destroyer kits. The tug kit reapeared in the 1947 Penguin catalogue again as a kit powered by clockwork. Could this be the worlds first plastic model boat kit?. most intrigueing! Also , do you know if the two warship kits were ever released to the public?. Regards, Walter.
Hello Walter- yes the Tugboat was the worlds's first plastic boat kit (please check page 75). The Penguin kits have numerous "firsts" - the two warship kits you refer to were both Destroyer kits, originally to be released around 1940, but finally released in late 1945 (please check pages 158/159).

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2017 15:30 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

Paul H wrote:
Congratulations Peter ! :clap: :clap:
Thank you!!!