Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 19 Aug 2017 19:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Blogs - Good and Bad
PostPosted: Sat 27 May 2017 21:35 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Dear Community,
My ego has finally won over my humility! I want to start a blog for my model work. Those of you who know this line of country - are there superior platforms (hosts)? What features do you find vital? If you've had a long-running build, have you begun recording something and later found the process tedious?

Can you recommend a site that you've found helpful answering these or similar questions?

Any experience you share will be most gratefully received. Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Happy modelling!

Post subject: Re: Blogs - Good and Bad
PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017 03:56 am 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

James, I started a blog using blogspot.com. I haven't done anything on it for ages, but Paul H has a blog using blogspot and his is brilliant so it may well provide what you want. Paul would much more about it and how good it is and what can be done.

This is as far as I got with mine ...

http://tangfastico.blogspot.co.uk/

Model Madness

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017 09:22 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
What is a blog :airhead:
Is it anything different to this forum :?:

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017 09:46 am 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: --------------------
: Portfolio
IMHO, The best two platforms for Blogging are WP (Wordpress) and BS (Blogspot) but BS seems the most popular for Hobby based Bloggers, it seems the most common for model makers, figure painters, wargamers etc.
I´ve got Blogs using both WP and BS but BS is the more user friendly of the two.

Long-running builds on a blog? I´ve done such a Thing but included as part of other Posts, as an Long running attachment as it were. Reason, Bloggers seem to have a short Attention span as far as other Blogs are concerned..there are a lot to Keep up with and keeping Focus as a viewer on a Long term build is at best difficult. That goes for the Blogger whose posting the build,
You can do it as a "how to"..the whole build as one post. How? The posts are created in draft from in the Background of the blog so you can edit and add to each post as you go along and when it´s ready post the whole lot on the front page of the blog. This way you can post other stuff whilst working on the Project. I´ve got a couple of such Posts in draft form on my blog but due to loosing Focus, they are now so covered in cyber dust and cobwebs they will never get published.

Due to the time involved creating such a post I put Long term Projects/builds on Forums. It´s more likely that someone will jog my interest on a Forum than me working on it hidden in draft form on a blog.

Blogs are, particually at the start, hard work. You Need a Routine, dedication and most of all..Time. For those reasons I´ve put two Blogs into moth balls and rarely use a 4th.

Do´s n´Don´ts
Do Follow other Blogs, add a "Blogs I follow" and a "Followers" gadget to your own blog.

Do Use the Basic "look". Dont add fancy Backgrounds or script types. Your stuff is the Thing People want to look at, anything else distracts.

Never add adsense to the blog (BS) no matter how much Money they tell you your blog will make. It´s a distraction, the ads shown generally have nothing to do with your Hobby and they suck the life out of hard drives so and Viewers Screens slow down, especially the ones that move, flashing to get your Attention, mini films and the like.

You can add Facebook and Twitter links to your blog but they are, IMHO, a waste of time and space and add confusion more than anything.

Don´t expect fame. If your doing it for that then it will most probably become an annoying chore. I started mine (the main one I still Keep updating) as a personal record of my stuff that I could share and that suits me fine.

If you search, there are sites giving advice on "how to be a successfull Blogger", the "top ten best ways to bla bla" but mostly they aim for getting mega traffic and hits and therefore create Money. Funnily enough, suprise suprise, most of them are Blogs.
TBH, the Money making add ons like adsense etc have ways and means of NOT giving out the so called earnings. As I´ve said, it´s best not to even think of adding them to the blog.

What else? I can´t think at the Moment but if you´ve any questions ask away.
My best advice, have fun, that´s success in itsself. :D

Edit. just remembered. Put the comments onto Moderation mode. Don´t have it set so that anyone can post a comment before you get to see it. Believe me, there are some weird People out there who´ll make some weird comments, even on something as harmless as a Modell related blog so it´s best you get to them before they appear on your blog. If you´ve got a hundred or more posts going back months without Moderation you probably won´t even notice the oddballs making wierd comments on old Posts you´ve Long half forgotten.

@Alan, Thanks :D

My ATF Workbench

Last edited by Paul H on Sun 28 May 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017 10:00 am 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Ratch wrote:
What is a blog :airhead:
Is it anything different to this forum :?:

Good questions.
Blog, the word is last 4 letters from Weblog. A sort of online diary..the online diary is the actual blog, and adding an entry is "to blog" and the individual diary entry can be referrred to as "a blog"...
In the Tools and functions, Blogs and Forums are similar. The main differences :think: Forums are generally Multi user, Blogs are generally single user.

My ATF Workbench

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017 10:24 am 
Site Owner

I thought a blog was a 'B' log as opposed to an 'A' log :lol:

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017 10:36 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

:D Mirror image tree trunks? :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017 17:47 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thank you everyone, and particularly Paul H. Your input is something for me to ruminate on. I am afraid of introducing another time suck into my life, but I'm also interested in making a record of my attempts at modeling 1/96 and 1/100 sailing ships (a time suck par excellence!).

Appropriate to our forum here might be a "single subject" post about say yards or cannon on a Revell or Heller ship, or a few photos of the finished model, but my bead on the ATF is that this wouldn't be the proper place for a long-running thread regarding another company's models.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Happy modelling!

PostPosted: Mon 29 May 2017 09:31 am 
Site Owner

A Demo-build would be perfectly acceptable James 8-)
We are first of all modellers. We love Airfix, but we build other brands too :P

PostPosted: Mon 29 May 2017 16:00 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Ratch wrote:
I thought a blog was a 'B' log as opposed to an 'A' log :lol:

with a `C`Log you´d get a pair of dutch wooden shoes.. :sofa:

My ATF Workbench