Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 27 Apr 2017 21:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

Which scale(s) would you buy?
1/76 21%  21%  [ 20 ]
1/72 26%  26%  [ 24 ]
1/48 14%  14%  [ 13 ]
1/32 (54mm) 19%  19%  [ 18 ]
1/24 13%  13%  [ 12 ]
1/12 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 94
PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017 02:52 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

I voted 1/76, 1/72, 1/48, and 1/32(54mm). I just love the 1/76 scale figurines from Airfix's toy soldier heyday. I expect that 1/72 scale figurines to match better the airfield range might be a good move and perhaps this will be the path Airfix takes for all braille scale sets in the future. Because 1/48 scale has not been swamped with sets so much, perhaps there is more range for movement. The 1/32 scale range is still very good (in some respects unsurpassed) and there is potential for expanding it with multiplying effect.

In my favorite, 1/76 scale - I remember getting a set of the first Afrika Korps with just one newer MP38 Schmeisser pose. I've also seen an example of a first set German Infantry that included one prone Japanese rifleman. The Japanese Infantry set includes a prone soldier with a Type-11 light machine-gun, and it is obviously from a different sculptor from the balance of the set. Which leads to this little muse . . . could Airfix introduce just two or four new poses into existing sets? It has to be possible - the molds have had new poses joined into them before. Would this represent a reasonable amount of new to get a return?
Imagine the current Italians with a couple fewer Beretta M1938s and marching soldiers and an 81mm mortar ensemble and a couple of Breda M1930 LMGs.
Imagine the current Japanese set with fewer of the riflemen stabbing the sky with their rifles and a couple of imports from the 1/32 poses - mostly the knee mortar, and a proper Type 100 SMG.
Imagine the current Russians with much of the repeated poses taken out to make room for scaled-down 1/32 poses.
Airfix simply has to replace its British sets - they are weak.

My thoughts. Happy modelling!

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017 10:28 am 
Red Star
Red Star

The odd Japanese figure was an attempt by Airfix to see if scaling down its 1:32 figures to 1:76 was feasible. The 'second edition' sets (e.g. 8th Army, Afrika Korps) used the seven 1:32 figures plus several new poses.

All of this was possible because the figures were panto-graphed down from the original masters (1:12 usually). It would have been possible to scale to 1:32 the new figures, thus giving us 15 or 16 different poses in the 29 piece sets.

Unfortunately, the masters were all lost around the time Humbrol bought Airfix. Apparently it is not possible to panto-graph down from a 1:32 master (The WW2 British Infantry and Support Group would make a lovely 1:76 set)!

The sculptor of the later Airfix figures and Britains was Ron Cameron who has recently died. Airfix seems unable to find a decent sculptor (see the recent 1:76 British Infantry).

I would love to see new Airfix figures as I believe the existing figures are largely unsurpassed and Airfix did start the ball rolling with its Infantry Combat Group, etc. But I want them to look like the old figures (anatomically correct, not bow-legged or dwarfish or in strange poses).

Perhaps when Airfix is in a better financial position and if a decent sculptor(s) can be found we could see a return to more sets but at the moment the competition is pretty fierce.

jezbrook

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017 11:56 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
As someone who has all the existing sets of 1:76/00 small figures, a lot of the fixed pose 1:32 and all the multipose sets,
I am a tad biased

(voted: first, second and fourth!)

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017 14:38 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

: --------------------
@jezbrook - Well, it's theoretically possible to pantograph any size to any other size, but it's probably inadvisible to do an awkward ratio from a pantograph copy "master" to a "new size".