Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Mon 25 Sep 2017 01:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr 2017 12:19 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Both masts now completed from a combination of 0.5mm plastic rod, 0.2mm wire and WEM PE.
Whaler oars remade and added
20mm Oerlikons completed and added
All Carley floats now added
Started on the weathering

I think it's just 2 x cranes to add, A & Y turrets to add, 2 x anchors to add, finish the weathering, add the rigging and attach it to the seascape base and we're done. Given that the 12 months are up next weekend, I might just make it!

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr 2017 21:43 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

And another few days on, the rigging's coming along although taking these photos has highlighted that I still have to trim one mainmast halyard.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 13:34 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Why is it that when doing the rigging, even on something that is relatively simple like a Town class cruiser, it never goes to plan?

As you can see from above, before I went away on leave I managed to get all of the standing rigging and signal halyards fitted. It was quite challenging as normally I would try to use lycra thread, but the yardarms were so thin and flexible that any tension on them in any direction pulled them out of shape so I had to revert to good old fashioned stretched sprue. The usual way that I do it is CA anchor at the base, tension up to the yard where there is already a tiny drop of CA, touch it on and hold for 10 seconds. Then cut the sprue about 1cm from the yard, add another tiny drop of CA from a cocktail stick and leave it 10 mins. After than time, soften the overhang with liquid poly and gently tease it away. Mostly, that worked although as you can see it was challenging to get the tension.

The only rigging left for the return from leave was the main HF aerial which stretches from both upper yards, but in the horizontal plane even the tension of trying to straighten a length of naturally curled sprue was enough to pull them out of shape, and of course the tension has to balance or otherwise you can guarantee that one of the four aerial lines will slacken off.

Eventually managed this and had the overhangs to remove. The first 5 (remember there are 2 per aerial, 1 at either end for the HF aerials) came away quite easily. The 6th was really stubborn and no amount of liquid poly seemed to be working and I eventually had to resort to a tiny pair of my wife's old needlework scissors. The 7th softened really quickly; unfortunately the overhang remained firmly secured and the aerial itself came disconnected. Ideally I would have started again with that aerial and fresh length of sprue but I was unable to disconnect the fwd end without risking damaging the yards so had to add a dot of CA on the mainmast yard, touch some zapper on the end of the aerial and tension it so it just touched. Fortunately it worked. Finally, the last aerial overhang came away quite easily but with it one of the halyards attached to the yard also reacted to the liquid poly and became disconnected. Repeat the dot of CA and touch of zapper technique.

There is supposed to be an additional wire from the main aerials down to the fwd superstructure but I think I have pushed my luck enough on this now so have decided enough is enough; that will be omitted.

To make matters worse, I had the previous night attached the hull to the seascape base with 5 minute epoxy but because the base had warped slightly from the heat of the plaster of paris cooking off, there was a slight gap at the stern which needed filling. My plan was to brush a watered down PVA glue into the gap which would also help with representing water once set. I was using an old bottle of PVA that we've had for over 15 years and as I was squeezing some out into a small jar to water down, the plastic on the bottle decided it was time to give way and shattered leaving me, the model board and the floor covered in PVA. Fortunately the model was far enough away not to get covered!

Matt coat tonight, then a couple of coats of gloss over the sea on Thursday and the White Ensign to add and we're there.

Photos to follow

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2017 13:03 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Pleased to report that I finally finished it about 3 weeks ago. As soon as I get round to uploading the photos to Flickr, I'll upload some links here

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2017 13:36 pm 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
I can hardly wait! :blob: :blob: blob: :boat: :thumb:

My Portfolio

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun 2017 17:32 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Sorry, work went ballistic just after I finished it. This weekend is the first time I have had any time free to upload the photos

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun 2017 08:47 am 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
Stunning! :blob: :clapping:

My Portfolio