Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 10:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2016 07:22 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
All the best! What do you have in store for us?

Last edited by Brews on Sun 03 Apr 2016 02:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2016 22:17 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

: --------------------
Mine will be OOB and I'll try and as I want to opt for something that isn't being built by someone else I'll hang fire for a bit.

My Portfolio
My WIP

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr 2016 16:28 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I thought I'd go for something Russian or Japanese just to emphasise the sheer variety of Winkle-flown aircraft. Thanks to the massive Modelzone sales a couple of years back it's going to be the Petlyakov PE-2 (A03034). A classic GB choice (in the sense that, had it not been for the GB, I probably wouldn't have built this kit for quite a while).

The boxart even features FW190Ds, one of which I'm currently finishing off for last year's FW190 GB - it's a sign I tells ya!

At the glance the sprues look surprisingly flash free:

They're currently soaking in a tupperware tub, initial building to start imminently.

My Portfolio
My WIP

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr 2016 02:52 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Good one.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr 2016 02:55 am 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Model Portfolio
Nice choice. I built this kit recently and discovered after-the-fact that the exhaust stubs should point UP. I really had to force 'em to get them to point down, lol!

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr 2016 17:12 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Put some flesh on faces and hands of the crew as well as some interior parts and the air brakes (as well as the aforementioned exhausts!):

My Portfolio
My WIP

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr 2016 01:58 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Made any progress since? :)

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2016 22:14 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

First issue - some of the joins between parts and sprue were quite wide (a wide kind of 'tab' rather than the usual thin link) and I ended up pressing a little hard on the knife to cut through them.
As a result the lower half of the fuselage now doesn't quite meet (though it's fine everywhere else).

Think I'll end up just joining it bit by bit on the underside, pushing it out very slightly and holding it in place. The lower gunner will probably make this tricky and he may need to be sacrificed so we'll see. In the meantime the crew are ready - used Hu189 for uniform and headgear as I don't have Hu62 (Leather) and used last remnants of a dried out tinlet of Hu56 for the goggles.

As often happens the beginning of this build saw a renewed enthusiasm for two earlier builds (for last year's FW190 and 9th GB builds respectively). Just finished my 1/48 Me109 for the 9th GB this morning so I should start to pick up the pace on this, especially since the 10th GB starts imminently, meaning my 'escape' build will become the Pe2!

My Portfolio
My WIP

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2016 05:18 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Still better than a Pe-2 of mine that a strong postman shoved through a letterbox.

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016 21:46 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Any more progress to show us? We like to see photos, you know :)

PostPosted: Sun 01 May 2016 22:33 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I've had a little holdup due to issues with getting the fuselage halves together neatly.

Earlier, I'd mentioned the wide tabs, the removing of which had resulted in my pushing down a little on one fuselage half, meaning they no longer matched properly.

Here's an idea of the width of said sprue / part joins - it's from the Thunderbolt kit but it still shows what I'm talking about:

As well as this, the upper turret, cockpit and lower gun all need to be aligned when putting the laves together, and something's not quite meeting.

I now reckon it's the round piece to the rear of said gun that's fouling the clear plastic surrounds of the windows, so I've filed them down a bit.

Making lemons out of lemonade, I've decided to undercoat and topcoat the upper fuselage beneath the machine gun before I put the two halves together once and for all as otherwise it'll be hard to reach since the gun lies almost flat along the upper fuselage.

I'll also be leaving out the crewman manning the lower gun - the idea is to glue the top, nose and tail and than gradually glue the bottom bit by bit to avoid a 'step' between them and I reckon Vasili will just get in the way.

My Portfolio
My WIP

Last edited by 28vanelli on Mon 02 May 2016 00:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun 01 May 2016 23:55 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Goodo.

PostPosted: Wed 04 May 2016 21:16 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

More prep work - have painted the underwings with Hu65 before assembling the wings as otherwise the bright red dive brakes will get in the way and make painting a bit awkward.

I've also given the propellors an initial coat of Hu18 - I normally paint the props black and then overpaint the tips with yellow (or whichever colour is required) but, seeing as the Hu18 is a bit watery, I thought I'd get the orange on first and then add the black on top. Looks like it'll need at least one more coat, if not two so I think I made the right decision.

I also tried to assemble the fuselage halves but, while holding the sides together, I managed to push one of the windows in with my finger. It hadn't completely taken so I was able to take the pieces apart and replace the window but, when I tried again, I made the same mistake.
I've therefore left the two halves separate for the time being and will recombine them at the start of my next session, when I'm fresh and fully aware of the whereabouts of all my digits!

My Portfolio
My WIP

PostPosted: Thu 05 May 2016 02:17 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Time to think about using something else for the windows, perhaps? I've used sticky tape before :idea:

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2016 19:41 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Fuselage now complete and the bottom join not too bad at all.

Construction's picked up somewhat, wings and tailplanes now on, as is quite a bit of filler:

My Portfolio
My WIP

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2016 19:48 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Ready to put the Hu30 on but the masking is made a little trickier than normal due to the curves on the engines and at the rear of the fuselage.

The latter is a little odd as it's showed differently on the boxart and the instructions:

So I've cut a template out of plasticard using a craftknife I bought in Games Workshop (recommended by a bloke in Hattons who built the models in their window displays):

And used the template to curved strips of masking tape. I used larger tape I had in the house over the usual modelling tape. In the event there was much more leakage than usual so I'll need to rethink my approach. Still, this is how we learn.

Still, looks better with the green on (I also masked and painted the black area in front of the cockpit):

I find its curves make it look like a baby Condor (of the FW200 variety).

In my rush to get the green on in a short time window I forgot that I'd only partially painted the blue on the underside. Doh!

Still, not the end of the world as I can combine putting on the remaining blue with the usual post-masking tidying up of the Hu30 (and, as you can see, a slight touching up of the Hu60 on the dive brakes while I'm at it).

My Portfolio
My WIP

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2016 20:40 pm 
Bronze Bar
Bronze Bar

Lovely build mate, and a fantastic looking aircraft...sort of a cross between a Mossie and a Bf-110 :thumb:

My WIP
My Portfolio

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun 2016 00:33 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Looking good.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug 2017 12:35 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Just glued on the engines and filled the joins. I would upload some pictures but, after five years of me using them, I'm now being told I can't use their site for third party hosting (ie posting pictures here anymore).

Disappointing.

My Portfolio
My WIP