Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 29 Jun 2017 10:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2017 12:57 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

: --------------------
So in 2015, I was lucky to be part of the great work of painting 54mm figures for a massive display in Wellington, New Zealand. This was the http://www.greatwarexhibition.nz/ and through this particular site http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.co.nz/ a great number of NZ modelers were tasked to contribute over 5000 miniatures towards this amazing diorama. As our wargaming group was accepted, we were sent a batch of unassembled and unprepped miniatures in various poses to complete. We had a working bee to do the initial clean up and assembly and then painting ...

We were all given a number of figures to take home and complete, about 20 each. I was tasked with "running soldier with bayonets fixed", "soldier at attention with bayonet fixed". We had painting guides but a large leeway to ensure that non-conformity was the order of the day!

Top view shot

Single figure front shot

Single figure front angle shot

Rear shot

Ink washed figures

I completed my assigned figures well in advance and with highlights, this was quite a feat since during this time my wife just had our baby in March 2015! She was very understanding and realised this would be one of the highlights of my modeling career! Just as I was resting on my laurels, a minor crisis occurred. Another gaming group apparently got over committed and not a single figure was completed! My contact in our gaming club quickly took it on board and volunteered us to complete and finish the outstanding amount in time for the final preparations by the Perry twins and Peter Jackson's WETA workshop staff! I put my hand up without my wife's permission ... and promptly got handed a plastic bag filled with more figures. Eek! Fortunately my understanding wife saw the big picture and allowed me to do them. I quickly organised my thoughts and action bench to quickly batch paint all of what I had been given! Sorting out the jumble, I had been given ...
Wounded Turkish soldiers

Mounted rifle troops, lying down, rifles at ready

Using alradite epoxy, I assembled the figures - I encountered difficulties in the curing due to the high humidity at the time. I had to resort to using CA glue (which does not bond as strongly). But needs must! On a tight time schedule!

Priming with undercoat ...

Many wounded Turkish soldiers ... when I was painting these miniatures, poignant moments were revealed to me and the thought of how these men suffered kept coming through.

A combination of slouch hats and the mounted rifle pith helmets

Burning the midnight oil to get these miniatures down to Wellington ASAP!

Close ups ... I was given the order to not correct the casting lines to perfection since time was of the essence. It goes against the grain but I realised on a diorama with 5000 other figures, I could see their point!

The Turkish troops painted up quicker than the Auckland Mounted Rifles!

Seeing this on my bench really brought home the savagery that war is. Made me sad at times, each figure seemed to have it's own story to tell ...
These were packed off and sent down. Phew! Job done, wife well glad to see me without painted fingers and a cluttered kitchen table!

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

Last edited by gijoe on Sun 16 Apr 2017 13:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2017 13:13 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

And just when I thought I was done ... another panicked call through to me (it seemed I was an outstanding performer and was considered a minor miracle worker to be able to batch paint so rapidly!) My wife is truly a saint and on overhearing my phone conversation just nodded her head! Truly I am blessed with such a patient and understanding partner! This was dropped off at my home and I was faced with another batch of models to prep, prime and paint! More speed! It truly was a grab bag of randomly posed figures (I organised multiple copies to ensure efficiency of painting!)

Get those base coats laid down! Flesh tones! Equipment and rifle tones! At the double!

Almost finished! Just two running Brits w/bayonets still in black undercoat stage!

You know it's time to take a break when a Turk is picking your nose with his bayonet!

Paint! Paint! Paint!

"Oi mates! I see Johnny Turk making a break across our lines!"
"Ucret! Ucret! Saldiri!"

The battle lines are drawn ... the brave Turks charge the Fernleaf's line with elan and fervor!

With nerves shot with the constant strain of war, a shaking Fernleaf steadies his aim, rallying because he doesn't want to let his mates next to him down!

A single .303 round puts paid to a valiant life, squandered on a battlefield, miles from home and family ... like many sad stories of Gallipoli and fields of conflict ... dolce decorum est, pro patria mori

Last two figures done! Started from a black undercoat at 8.45am,April 7th this morning! Phew!

They join the line as reinforcements to see off another overwhelming Turkish attack ...

After that epic painting marathon ... what does a modeler do next? Need one ask?

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2017 13:40 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Model Portfolio
Wow. What an experience!

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2017 14:28 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Portfolio
:clap: Saw the dio online last year...excellent result. Congrats in being able to take part, well done to all of you :thumb: :thumb:

My ATF Workbench

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr 2017 00:38 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Very well done. Mentioning, picking your nose with a bayonet, reminded me of an E-mail sent to me a long time a go, about a guy who tried suing De Walt Drills, after trying to pick his nose, with a drill bit, (whilst in his drill, and switched on). He wasn't successful.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr 2017 05:09 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

lol! :lol: I think we all have stories of lopping bits of our anatomies off with xacto blades, drinking the brush water instead of the tea mug, supergluing bits to ourselves and wondering where on earth it's gone (until you are at a dinner and someone mentions you have something stuck somewhere ...), being a clever clogs and doing assembly in a different order because you know better (and then regretting it when at a critical juncture it reveals the flaw in your plans :Chair: ), buying another model but forgetting you already have that one in your stash ... oh no, not that this has ever happened to me or other such events only modelers know! :hithead: :Whistling:

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

Last edited by Ratch on Mon 17 Apr 2017 09:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Unnecessary quote deleted