So in 2015, I was lucky to be part of the great work of painting 54mm figures for a massive display in Wellington, New Zealand. This was the http://www.greatwarexhibition.nz/
and through this particular site http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.co.nz/
a great number of NZ modelers were tasked to contribute over 5000 miniatures towards this amazing diorama. As our wargaming group was accepted, we were sent a batch of unassembled and unprepped miniatures in various poses to complete. We had a working bee to do the initial clean up and assembly and then painting ...
We were all given a number of figures to take home and complete, about 20 each. I was tasked with "running soldier with bayonets fixed", "soldier at attention with bayonet fixed". We had painting guides but a large leeway to ensure that non-conformity was the order of the day!
Top view shot
Single figure front shot
Single figure front angle shot
Ink washed figures
I completed my assigned figures well in advance and with highlights, this was quite a feat since during this time my wife just had our baby in March 2015! She was very understanding and realised this would be one of the highlights of my modeling career! Just as I was resting on my laurels, a minor crisis occurred. Another gaming group apparently got over committed and not a single figure was completed! My contact in our gaming club quickly took it on board and volunteered us to complete and finish the outstanding amount in time for the final preparations by the Perry twins and Peter Jackson's WETA workshop staff! I put my hand up without my wife's permission ... and promptly got handed a plastic bag filled with more figures. Eek! Fortunately my understanding wife saw the big picture and allowed me to do them. I quickly organised my thoughts and action bench to quickly batch paint all of what I had been given! Sorting out the jumble, I had been given ...
Wounded Turkish soldiers
Mounted rifle troops, lying down, rifles at ready
Using alradite epoxy, I assembled the figures - I encountered difficulties in the curing due to the high humidity at the time. I had to resort to using CA glue (which does not bond as strongly). But needs must! On a tight time schedule!
Priming with undercoat ...
Many wounded Turkish soldiers ... when I was painting these miniatures, poignant moments were revealed to me and the thought of how these men suffered kept coming through.
A combination of slouch hats and the mounted rifle pith helmets
Burning the midnight oil to get these miniatures down to Wellington ASAP!
Close ups ... I was given the order to not correct the casting lines to perfection since time was of the essence. It goes against the grain but I realised on a diorama with 5000 other figures, I could see their point!
The Turkish troops painted up quicker than the Auckland Mounted Rifles!
Seeing this on my bench really brought home the savagery that war is. Made me sad at times, each figure seemed to have it's own story to tell ...
These were packed off and sent down. Phew! Job done, wife well glad to see me without painted fingers and a cluttered kitchen table!
- The sniff of glue, the feel of a blade, light reflecting off a sprue, these are pleasing words to me! -My PortfolioMy W.I.P