Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Fri 26 May 2017 10:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2016 12:04 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

The OO chassis and tank are now ready for the paintshop (ladders will be added later, after initial weathering):-

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about the elementary blunder I discovered just after the cement had set solid - solebars on the wrong sides of the central bearers, so either I fill the ladder holes, mount the tank as it should be, and accept the brake levers are wrong, or mount the tank to match the holes and hope no-one notices the manhole is the wrong end of the chassis. I think I've more or less decided on the latter, but I'll be paying particular attention to make sure I get the EM version right.

This shows the simple 'extras' added to the brakes. Another obvious addition, since the end fittings are already moulded on the solebars, would be the discharge pipe, but I'm saving that for the other two members of the trio. Slower progress with those, but still hoping they'll all come together before we're into extra time - could depend how depressed I am after the result of tomorrow's vote -

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul 2016 10:08 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

The EM conversion has been causing a little trouble. Firstly, the solebars decided to break - not where I had 'cut and shut' the overlength one, which remained solid, but where I had filled the ladder locating holes (corrosive filler?) and, in one case, just a few millimetres from an end, which was even more annoying. This happened while thinning W-irons and recessing bearings, all intended to let the wheelsets sit nicely without causing 'bowing'. Well, that went well, as you can see from the results:

Not just bent W-irons, wheel face rubbing as well. The simplest solution - if a little nail-biting - was to cut off the W-irons and spring hangers and reposition them further out on the solebars. Not exactly prototypical, and in theory the wagon will now ride a little too low (by the thickness of the sawcut) but I'm happy, because it enabled me to get on and position the brake hangers. Note the presence of a black one shows where the carpet monster got the last of the Dapol versions (always the last one, isn't it)? Fortunately the P4 chassis kit comes with its own, so I 'borrowed' one from the sprue in that Airfix kit. Now it's on with a representation of the brake operating gear.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul 2016 20:16 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Progress with the brake gear (which I should emphasis is representative, not an accurate copy of the prototype arrangements, which are more than a tad complicated). Just the short link on the main shaft to add (the most difficult to access, of course) then the safety hangers. But for the outside pullrods I need to work out how fixing the safety hoops will interact with mounting the couplings, and make sure I do it in the right sequence. Buffer beams, by the way, are proceeding a little slowly because I'm awaiting a fresh supply of 0.5mm drills to open out the bores in the sprung buffers, which I do seem particularly adept at filling with superglue. Buffers are, however, looking good and along with cast vacuum pipes definitely lift the looks above OOB standard.

So I'm now pondering which couplings to fit. On the left, my favourite S&W (MK 1, without delayed uncoupling 'horn', which can easily be added by soldering on a stub of wire if you wish) together with my original bending jig from 1980-something. On the right, a fret of B&Bs, which I do like the look of, but have never built (and I discovered after taking the photo that I'd only found half the instructions, which I would probably have to scan and blow up to 300% if I wanted to work from them). On balance, I think I'll go for the S&Ws because there are enough other complications with this build, but I might just have a sneaky try with the B&Bs to see if I can put them together without making a total snarl-up. People do speak well of them, but then they wouldn't couple to any of my other stock ...

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul 2016 18:35 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Still slowly catching that monkey - brake linkage completed, inner safety loops fixed, first buffer beam in place. New supply of 0.5mm drills arrived, so no excuse now for not completing the second set of buffers (except that both springs have gone AWOL, but they always do, so I have a cache of spares which I think - possible famous last words - shouldn't be too hard to track down). Temperatures here (33° today) are due to drop a bit next week, so hopefully I can get the couplings and outer safety hoops soldered up and glued in place before I have to shut the workshop down for the arrival of our first summer visitor. I might also have a new lens for the camera by then because the super-zoom has to go in for repairs, so no excuses for not loading better pictures - this one was taken with my DX 'prime' (which I'm re-learning the use of) and screw-in close-up filter having it's first outing. Not really sure it's any better than Mrs DD's Nikon compact produces (though the initial file was a darn sight larger) ...

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2016 18:16 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: --------------------
: Moderators
: Group Build Leaders
: Model Portfolio
: GB Guru (Dan)
Looking great!

Another one who must have the patience of a saint :clap: :clapping: :angel:

Paula

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul 2016 14:56 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks Paula - not the patience of a Saint :pray: :pray: :pray: , but certainly the singed fingers :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: of a serial wagon builder! Actually it has been quite a pleasure using superglue for most of these parts, to avoid melting the plastic (except when each night's additions insisted on falling off next morning - won't happen with the couplings, though, they are very solidly soldered).

So the EM chassis is now ready for the paint shop:

And the tank body is nearly there, just needs the second walkway - then I get to burn a few more fingers, soldering brass wire to the etched ladders to beef up the stiles a bit.

Unfortunately, further work is on hold at the moment, as we have our first visitor of the summer and the workbench is out of bounds. Hope to resume soon, when the focus will shift to the P4 version of the kit and suitable track on which to display the trio (thinks - haven't built 'OO' track for 40 years or so, and haven't got any 16.5mm gauges. :think: :think: :think: That should be fun!). À bientôt!

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul 2016 18:45 pm 
ATF Founder
ATF Founder

: ATF Creator
: Administrator
: Group Build Leader
: AMSIG Member
: ex-Royal Navy
Good stuff, DD! :thumb:

Dave

My Portfolio + My Works in Progress + My Stash.

Stash: 173. Built: 1967-1980: 250. 1981-2005: 4. 2006-2010: 52. 2011-2015: 119. 2016: 33. 2017: 3.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2016 19:29 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks, Dave. Beginning to feel I'm getting there with these three, but I wish my output was as prolific as yours. Determined to have the blighters finished before the kids go back to school in September (not that it affects me, but it's such a big thing here you can't avoid the impact, everything is judged as either avant or après the rentrée).

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2016 18:11 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Moderators
: Group Build Leaders
: GB Guru (Dan)
Th're looking good, you're doing so well.

I know what you mean about the rentrée, I've already got what ours need, so I don't have a panic at the end of August!

Paula

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2016 21:31 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks Paula. I do find it a bit sad the shops are loaded with next term's stuff as soon as the kids have broken up, but it is very convenient to stock up with anything you need at this time of year. I'm developing a new 'hard copy' filing system for modelling reference material, to cut down on time spent failing to find it on my computer, so I feel a raid on Leclerc for folders and box files coming on soon!

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2016 23:16 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Great work DD. Super Poo, I hate the stuff with a vengeance. Each time I've used it, the same thing has happened to me, (if the parts I was trying to glue actually stuck together, and not to fingers/tweezers). Enjoy the School Holidays, (I just remembered, the kids in your end of the world have their big break now, not at Christmas here).
Mike

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2016 04:04 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Great work there, inspirational :clapping: :clapping:

PostPosted: Sat 24 Sep 2016 17:12 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks for the kind words, chaps. Sorry about my slow response, real life has knocked me sideways a bit over the last few weeks. Hope to get back to the tankers shortly, though, so watch this space for further progress i.d.c. Meanwhile, my 'recovery' project ('something completely different'!) will likely pop up on my workbench thread.

PostPosted: Wed 17 May 2017 16:52 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Group Build Guru
Did you get these finished David :?: I'm researching for my build in this year's GB :geek:

PostPosted: Wed 17 May 2017 18:03 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

They're still as I left them, Ratch - family matters having disrupted a lot in the last six months. This year's railway build has prompted me to dust them off, and work may restart shortly, but no promises as things are still a bit 'iffy' (favourite Aunt died on Monday). I'd recommend this thread as a useful read - ignore the conversion mentioned in the title, the basic model is discussed from Post 10 onwards.

PostPosted: Wed 17 May 2017 20:00 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Group Build Guru
:cheers: