Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Mon 26 Jun 2017 14:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2016 22:08 pm 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

: Model Portfolio
You can watch johnnyb build his version here . . .

Which one is it going to be Johnnyb ?

Avro Lancaster Enthusiast.
Builder: RAF Station Grimsby diorama

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 2017 17:00 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

: --------------------
Just picked up my kit! I got a copy of A08013 Lancaster BI(F.E.)/BIII. Will probably be building the 57 squadron version. This will be my first real heavy bomber. I will probably be using John's (johni044) build review quite a bit for reference. Very excited about this build!

Johnnyb

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017 18:49 pm 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

I'm pleased you have the one you wanted, johni044 builds will be an excellent reference guide for you !
Ian

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017 18:20 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I have decided to build the Frederick III. I have been reading "Peenemunde Raid: The Night of 17-18 August 1943" by Martin Middlebrook. Fantastic book. Peenemunde was the last mission of the Frederick III. (With most of my builds, I try to read some background. Plus, I am a huge history buff.)
Regarding the specific aircraft I am building and the Airfix boxing, Frankxm on ww2aircraft.net wrote on February 1 2016:
Quote:
"A remark about an error in the information of the Airfix LANCASTER BIII (modelkit A08013) :
On the box, in the manual and on the Airfix website, this model is described as the ED989 (57 Sqd) named Frederic II. This however is incorrect. The ED989 was named Frederic III. It was the third Lancaster aircraft of W/C Frederic Campbell Hopcroft. The Lancaster 1 W4201 (57 Sqd) was his first Lancaster aircraft and named "Frederic" (crashed on landing at base on 14 March 1943), his 2nd Lancaster at 57 Sqd. was the ED707 named "Frederic II" (crashed 23/24 May 1943, raid on Dortmund, with pilot Chivers, all crew killed). W/C Hopcroft also took part in this raid but with his Frederic III, the ED989. The Frederic III crashed in the raid on Peenemunde (17/18 August 1943, all crew killed) and was flown by W/C Haskell who succeeded W/C Hopcroft at 57 Sqd. at RAF Scampton in July 1943.
The information Airfix gives thus is wrong, the Frederic II was the ED707, not the ED989 (Frederic III)., and that is the aircraft in the kit. However, the decall sticker on the model is the Frederic III one, which thus is correct, and it flew untill August 1943 which is correct, only it wasn't Hopcroft's aircraft then."

So, I am building Frederick III as flown on the Peenemunde raid. It was part of Group 5 in tasked with bombing the V2 research buildings. The crew was lost on the return flight. This build is dedicated to the crew of Frederick III. I have ordered masks from Eduard and acrylic paints from Airfix USA. I'm going to use HU163 for Dark Green. I found one color photograph of the aircraft at http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205188608 The caption to that photograph says that it was a mk I. I thought it was a Mk III. Any insight on that? Thanks for reading this post. Looking forward to the start of this build.
Johnnyb

Last edited by johnnyb on Sat 28 Jan 2017 21:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017 19:11 pm 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

Fantastic research and always nice to have the background to any build. The colour photo reference is the cream on the top . . . . :thumb:
According to the Lancaster bible; Harleyford's publication 'LANCASTER Story of a famous bomber' . . .
Quote:
Serial Range ED303 -- EE202
"620 Lancasters ordered from A.V. Roe (Chatterton) in 1941 and built from November 1942 to June 1943 as 129 B.I and 491 B.III as indicated up to ED782 and all as MKIII from ED783 onwards "

An extra bit of information for you : Windows were stopped on the production line around November 1943.
plus ED989 flew 119hrs
Ian

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017 20:20 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Thanks Ian. I was wondering when the windows were deleted. I am assuming you mean the windows on the fuselage and not the anti-radar system Window that the crews used at this time!

Johnnyb

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2017 11:00 am 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

You've got it Johnny, fuselage windows deleted. :)
Ian

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2017 20:22 pm 
White Star
White Star

My "spider sense" is always alert to anything about Peenemünde as my great-uncle's family home in the resident area was destroyed (fortunately all survived) in what up to this time was considered by the RAF as the most important mission of the war. I opted for the "Dambuster" having spent time at another relative's home on the Edersee many years ago.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb 2017 21:32 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Thanks for checking in, Viiking. It would be interesting to hear of your great-uncles experiences during the bombing. The area was very unprepared for the all out attack that the RAF launched against it. The experiences of the people in the residential areas related in the book are absolutely terrifying. It was the first area targeted and they had very little warning and just a couple of poorly constructed shelters to retreat to.

It's important for us to remember the people below the bombers, as well as the individuals in the bombers.

Looking forward to your build. My aircraft was in 57 Squadron, located at the same field as the Dambusters.

Johnnyb

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb 2017 23:07 pm 
White Star
White Star

My great-uncle was Ernst Steinhoff. He was not at home when the bombing occurred and his family was buried under the rubble in the basement. That is all the detail I ever heard. After the bombing everybody was scattered around the island of Usedom and his family ended up sharing the forestry office in New Pudagla. His upstairs neighbor after the raid was Engineer Major-General Dr Walter Robert Dornberger. The family ended up in El Paso, Texas as part of Operation "Paper Clip."

Thanks for the tidbit about the base for the Dambusters. The only base in England I visited was Duxford (Air Museum). Ray

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb 2017 20:44 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Wow! Your great-uncle was a real pioneer in rocket science and a great help to the US space program. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Steinhoff Also, Dornberger was in charge of the whole operation, at least before the raid. It would have been real interesting to sit down with both of them and talk about the work they were doing and the atmosphere at Peenemunde prior to the raid. Thanks for sharing that information.

Johnnyb

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar 2017 19:24 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Hi Guys! I have everything ready to go, but my niece is visiting us this week, so progress probably won't start until next weekend. Who knows, I may be able to get a little bit done here and there. Mostly, my wife and I will be showing her the attractions of Oregon. Be back soon! Good luck with your builds.

Johnnyb

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar 2017 23:38 pm 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

Thanks for the update.
Enjoy the visit,
Ian

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar 2017 09:06 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
Rules wrote:
Text Speak
Do not use Text Speak on this forum. It is not necessary and can be hard for some people to understand.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar 2017 03:45 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Had a great time with my niece. Now it is back to modeling! Here are the opening shots. This is going to be the biggest bird I have built. Not really sure where I am going to place it once it is done. It is a nice impressive box of plastic!

I'll save some server space by not posting every page of the instructions.

This is the included decal sheet and the plane I will be building.

I did a color test with the Model Master paints I am using. They look good.

Will wash the parts tonight and hopefully get started tomorrow.

Johnnyb

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017 15:26 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Hi Johnyb: Interesting stuff here :nod:

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar 2017 06:41 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Got home late from work. I am already impressed with this kit. A very modest start ...

Johnnyb

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar 2017 15:48 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Small bit a painting done last night. Work has really been crazy, so I'm struggling to get some time with the plastic. More this weekend.

Johnnyb

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017 16:36 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Not much progress this weekend. Since this is my first large bomber build, there is a bit of a learning curve for me. I think the next one will be easier. For now, I am following the directions and suggestions from other build threads.

Got the windows in using two-part epoxy. I wanted to make sure they don't come out. The Eduard masks came in the mail last week. I think they have masks for the fuselage windows, so they can be protected through the rest of the painting process. It sort of doesn't make sense why they would put so many windows in a strategic bomber. I have to get a couple of reference books on Lancasters.

Did some more painting in the cockpit area. I have assembled and will paint the navigators table this evening. Stay tuned for more progress!

Johnnyb

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar 2017 21:33 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Squeezed a little more progress in at lunch. Got both halves of the fuselage complete. Flight deck complete. Will close up the fuselage tonight.

Johnnyb