Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sun 28 May 2017 06:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017 11:29 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
Rules wrote:
Quoting posts
When quoting somebody else's post, only quote that part of the post that is relevant

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017 17:55 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Ratch wrote:
Rules wrote:
Quoting posts
When quoting somebody else's post, only quote that part of the post that is relevant

:oops:

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017 19:03 pm 
Site Owner

There is also no need to quote the post immediately above your own. We should be able to work out when you're replying to a post immediately above yours.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017 02:11 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

It seems that the only quasi-official statement from Airfix is Simon Owen's tweet that aircraft will be the focus in 2017 but tanks may make a comeback.
While I'm disappointed that there won't be any new releases in the near future, I won't be giving up on the tank comeback and I suspect that more softskin models will be released before the next tank.
It's a long time since I built aircraft models and I don't know if my approach was typical. However, I tended to build one example of each aircraft that I was interested in; aircraft in RAAF service for example. My approach to building military vehicle models is quite different and I have ten sets of the Airfix QLD and QLT in various stages of construction, not to mention at least as many Airfix Refuelling Sets. If my model building is relatively representative, it would make financial sense for Airfix to regularly release new aircraft models and continue to cycle the existing military vehicle kits in and out of production.
Of course, that's speculation on my part and I'm sure Airfix is well aware of what will bring the best return for investment.
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017 10:24 am 
Green Star
Green Star

with almost everyone now making military vehicles in 1/72 scale airfix are getting left behind as far as modeling and gaming goes, just doing the same old models with the errors they have like the 234/4 mudguards does not apeal to serious modelers who now seem to want everything and build so few models a year they will never make money on tanks ect.
the growing range of military vehicles from the likes of psc and armourfast, whilst not 100% accurate has shown what can be done, gamers are buying them in much larger quantities than modelers and giving them confidance in making more, psc have anounced even more new models for 2017.
yes you could argue that they lack the accuracy of dragon, but with the amount of conversion sets and stowage ect they can be made to look as good as any other kit.
we often forget that the average model maker does not have the experience, knowledge or indeed the skill to make these fantastic looking ones we see in the mags and on the web, so they will still buy airfix ect and make them up but not as many as we would have years ago.
the new usa airfield refueler set looks great but is only really ideal for diorama bulders sadly.
it would be sad to see the military vehicle range go under but us 1/72-1/76 vehicle modelers and gamers are quite a small bunch compared to plane enthusiasts.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017 10:38 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I agree, some of the Armourfast range can be turned into really nice models and some of the quick assembly stuff from Pegasus Hobbies is beautifully detailed.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017 12:12 pm 
Site Owner

So its OK for other manufacturers to sell product lacking in detail because its 1/72 :scratch: Not everyone models in that scale, and while I agree that Airfix should not keep trotting out the same old tired moulds, the Bedfords and Cromwell show what they can do and should do more of :nod:

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017 17:50 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

agreed, the airborne Jeep is beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017 01:23 am 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

I did a little research at a helpful US online model store called Scale Hobbyist (that I use a fair bit). Their search engine provides totals by various categories and I thought the numbers might support this debate...

Model Aircraft (all): 3235 listed kits
•By Scale: 1/24 (25); 1/32 (301);1/35 (26); 1/48 (1080); 1/72 (1378); 1/100 (18); 1/144 (235); 1/200 (14); 1/350 (74); 1/700 (68); Other (16)
•Airfix Listed Total: 137 (4.2% of the listed Aircraft kits, but includes a lot of backordered/unavailable kits...)

Model Aircraft (WW2): 1487 listed kits
•By Scale: 1/24 (22); 1/35 (5); 1/32 (172); 1/48 (514); 1/72 (658); 1/144 (50); 1/200 (6); 1/350 (24); 1/700 (31); Other (5)
•Airfix Listed Total: 91 (6.1%)

Model Military Vehicles & Artillery (all): 2978 listed kits
•By Scale: 1/6 (12); 1/16 (29); 1/24 (8); 1/25 (6); 1/32 (32); 1/35 (1959); 1/48 (129); 1/72 (706); 1/76 (42); 1/100 (40); 1/144 (8); Other (7)
•Airfix Listed Total: 57 (3.8% of the listed vehicles, but almost half on backorder)

Model Military Vehicles & Artillery (WW2): 2051 listed kits
•By Scale: 1/6 (12); 1/16 (22); 1/24 (6); 1/25 (5); 1/32 (9); 1/35 (1319); 1/48 (104); 1/72 (500); 1/76 (35); 1/100 (32); 1/144 (3); Other (4)
•Airfix Listed Total: 44 (2.1%, but almost half on backorder)

If the number of available kits reflects the sales potential, then military vehicles would seem just as popular as aircraft, at least in the US perhaps... This data also seems to show that Airfix missed the boat on tanks not so much recently in the 1/72 arena, but in the 1970's and 80's when Tamiya created the 1/35 scale market. Also, if I were Airfix, I would be more concerned that if aircraft are the chosen focus, their market presence isn't much better for aircraft (4.2% of listed kits) than it is for tanks (3.8%)! Even these numbers are misleading since almost half of the Airfix aircraft and tank kits listed were flagged as on backorder, meaning not in production and out of stock. If customers can't buy them, Airfix can't make money... Hornby's financial woes are really hurting Airfix across the board.

With every model I learn a little more... and then the next one takes longer!

My Portfolio

Last edited by ntrocket88 on Fri 27 Jan 2017 01:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017 01:28 am 
Site Owner

Neil, one retail outlet is hardly a comprehensive view of Airfix's standing on the High Street :roll:

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017 01:42 am 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

True, and they are only in the US. Airfix may well be better represented in the EU and elsewhere. Scale Hobbyist also don't sell Fujimi 1/76 kits, which, combined with the limited number of ex-Matchbox kits Revell has available, skews the 1/76 vs 1/72 debate at least a bit. They also don't sell resin or white-metal kits...

My Portfolio

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017 06:40 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I did a similar ( :wink: ) exercise to Neil at my local hobby shop. I counted the columns of Braille Scale military vehicle kits on the shelves and Airfix is right up there with 8 columns, well ahead of Revell, Dragon, Trumpeter, etc.
There were far too many columns of aircraft for me to count but Airfix had a much smaller share.
I'm not sure what that means; probably that I have too much time on my hands!
One thing that I do want to say is that the recent Airfix military vehicle releases are very good quality and well chosen subjects. If they are not selling well, there is a problem.
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017 09:56 am 
Site Owner

Have a look at this thread, discussing what's on the shelves of our LMSs :wink:

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017 11:38 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

ntrocket88 wrote:
Even these numbers are misleading since almost half of the Airfix aircraft and tank kits listed were flagged as on backorder, meaning not in production and out of stock. If customers can't buy them, Airfix can't make money... Hornby's financial woes are really hurting Airfix across the board.
I don't think the concluding supposition is really supported by any of the quoted data - it could equally be that the backorder situation is created because Airfix are selling much better than the retailer anticipated (or even that credit limitations prevented the retailer ordering in the quantities they would have liked in the first place). I would be very surprised if Hornby's problems were actually preventing Airfix producing in the quantities they want, rather than just restricting the available range produced each year (albeit the Group's original problems do date back to over-production of London Olympics memorabilia).

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017 23:50 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Re-reading the quoted sentence, I realize I stated it more forcefully than I intended... :smt024: The limited data makes everything idle speculation, of course. As far as I can tell, Scale Hobbyist uses three classes of status. 'In Stock', meaning they physically have it, 'Available' meaning they don't have it, but they can get it from their distributor taking more time and 'Backorder' meaning that their distributor doesn't have it. As you say, that makes matching what the manufacturer makes to what's available a complicated business. At the moment, Scale Hobbyist has more Airfix military vehicles 'In Stock' than Airfix-USA do, though again, I don't know if Airfix-USA is the sole distributor to the US. The Airfix-USA inventory is usually out-of-sync with the Airfix store too, again having more types available than the UK Airfix store. My impression though, is that a lot fewer Airfix military vehicle types are available in the US this year than last year.

My Portfolio

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017 05:56 am 

thanks mate

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2017 03:07 am 

: --------------------
I for one would like to see Airfix continue on the "soft skinned" airfield sets and do some of the recovery and fire and rescue sets . The British WWII tank hauler as well these kits are well worth the time, and investment in my opinion. In my modeling club I have noticed a large migration to the larger scales 1/48th and 1/35th . No offence intended but the older modelers have often stated the 1/72nd and 1/76th scales are to "fiddly" to fool with. Needless to say I have been buying up the smaller kits by leaps and bounds . Airfix may have foreseen this long before me. The 1/48th Aifix Bedford and Albion can't stay on the shelves at the local hobby shop .We may just be seeing a migration to larger scales.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2017 10:37 am 
Site Owner

Time to introduce yourself here :idea:

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2017 14:01 pm 
Bronze Bar
Bronze Bar

: --------------------
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
I can well understand the reluctance by Airfix to release anything new that does not give a reasonable level of return. I sadly have to agree that 1/76 has been outsold by 1/72 and it is this scale that Airfix must focus on for any future vehicle releases. Having said that, I do not understand why they have withdrawn almost every military vehicle when they have such a rich tool bank. I would think that a couple of sets of B.A.O.R. vehicles would sell reasonably well, as most of the vehicles are growing harder to find and command quite high resale prices on ebay.