Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 03:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pwt32's Portfolio
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 19:17 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: --------------------
Great job Paul.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul 2017 06:33 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
Superb finish, excellent results :clapping: :clapping:

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul 2017 14:04 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Thank You.

Matchbox 1/72 Fairchild A-10A
57th Tactical Training Wing, Jaws ll exercise, November 1977

The A-10 was designed for close air support of ground troops, attacking armored vehicles and tanks, and providing quick-action support against enemy ground forces. It entered service in 1976 and is the only production-built aircraft that has served in the USAF that was designed solely for close air support. The A-10 is exceptionally tough, being able to survive direct hits from armor-piercing and high-explosive projectiles up to 23 mm. Its primary built-in weapon is the 30 mm GAU-8/A Avenger autocannon, one of the most powerful aircraft cannons ever flown, which can penetrate most armor with its depleted uranium rounds. In addition the aircraft can carry 16,000 lbs of disposable ordnance which is the equivalent of 3 WWII era B-17 bombers. In 1977 and 1978 the Air Force tested a number of camouflages on the A-10 to make the aircraft less visible. A number of "lizard" and "spotted" camouflages were evaluated in various colors. In the end none of the spotted camouflages were adopted, with the focus on the lizard style camouflage instead (large patches of color).

This was a quick build kit that went together well but required a lot of filler. Its not an accurate kit and probably best for building just the prototype. I used a nice set of print scale decals which provided 15 different versions from early models, JAWS test aircraft and Desert Storm variants. My aircraft is painted as one of the tan base spotted camouflage aircraft. It is worth noting the aircraft was painted in the field for the exercise, so the spots had over spray and pooling of color. I actually went back to some of my tighter spots to add over spray - a first for me.

More pictures here

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul 2017 07:16 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Just love it!!! :clapping:

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul 2017 14:20 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

This particular plane always seem to me a spaceship. I remember, in one episode of "Buck Rogers in the XXV Century" a spaceship based on the A-10.
In Desert Storm, the A-10 was a tank killer.
Very good model and very good painted, Pwt32! :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue 01 Aug 2017 15:19 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2017 14:29 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Tamiya 1/35 Wespe German Self Propelled Howitzer
Eastern Front, Fall 1943

The Sd. Kfz. 124 Wespe ("wasp"), was a German self-propelled gun used during the Second World War and was based on a modified Panzer II chassis. During the Battle of France in 1940 it became apparent that the Panzer II, was unsuitable as a main battle tank. The chassis, however, proved serviceable for providing mobility to the 10.5 cm field howitzer. Existing chassis were converted to self-propelled artillery vehicles, with a total of 676 produced and an additional 159 were modified to serve as mobile artillery ammunition carriers. It first saw combat in 1943 and continued in production until June of 1944.

This is a nicely detailed model from Tamiya with a full interior and nicely done crew figures. My research showed some missing equipment and boxes in the interior. I added a few extra items to fill in empty walls and create interest. The rubber band tracks glued with plastic cement and went on with no issues. Tank is painted with Tamiya and Testor paints with Mig and Wilder washes and pigments for weathering. My Wespe is marked as participating in the Kursk battle and is operating during the fighting retreat after soviet counter-offensive in the fall of 1943.

More Pictures here

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2017 16:07 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Dragon 1/72 Ki-61-1 HEI
Imperial Japanese Army Air Force
HQ Chutai, 244 Sentai, 1945

The Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien ("flying swallow") is a Japanese World War II fighter aircraft used by the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service. Allied pilots initially believed Ki-61s were Messerschmitt Bf 109s or a copy of an Italian aircraft, which led to the Allied reporting name of "Tony", assigned by the US War Department. It was the only mass-produced Japanese fighter to use a liquid-cooled inline V engine and over 3,000 Ki-61s were produced. Initial prototypes saw action over Yokohama during the Doolittle Raid on 18 April 1942 (where one raider reported an attack by a Bf-109!), and continued to fly combat missions throughout the war. Initially this fighter outclassed the early American fighters and the allies deployed more P-38 Lightnings in the Pacific to counter this threat. Late in the war, this fighter was used in ramming attacks on B-29 bombers which involved the pilot parachuting out of his aircraft if it was too heavily damaged to land. The first three recipients of the Bukosho, Japan's equivalent to the Victoria Cross or Medal of Honor, where Ki-61 pilots involved in ramming attacks.

This kit allows you to make 6 versions of the Ki-61 (Early to late models) and provides a small PE details as well as optional drop tanks. Detail is a bit soft but the cockpit provides sidewall detail and a PE instrument panel. Decals are easy to use and opaque. My model is painted with Testors and Aeromaster colors.

More pictures here

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2017 17:45 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

:wow: That Wespe is awesome, and I like that Hien too! (some people call it the Japanese Messerschmitt).
Very good work, Pwt!!

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2017 05:37 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Simply excellent additions Pwt!!!! :clapping: :clapping:

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2017 08:14 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Excellent additions. Top class portfolio :clapping: :clapping:

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017 13:30 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: Group Build Guru
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Excellent work Paul. The painting is great - the figures and weathering on the Wespe are very nicely done and the mottling (did you freehand it?) on the Hien is very effective.

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug 2017 03:16 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Thanks Lof3 - The mottling is done freehand with my airbrush.

Revell 1/72 J1N1-S Gekko
Japan, Mid 1944

The Nakajima J1N1 Gekko was a twin-engine aircraft used by the Japanese Imperial Navy for reconnaissance, night fighter, and kamikaze missions. The first flight took place in May 1941. It was given the Allied reporting name "Irving", since the earlier reconnaissance version the J1N1-C was mistaken for a fighter. In early 1943, Commander Yasuna Kozono came up with the idea of installing 20 mm cannons, firing upwards at a 30-degree angle in the fuselage. He tested his idea on a field-modified J1N1-C KAI and shot down two B-17s on 21 May 1943. The Navy took immediate notice and placed orders with Nakajima for the newly designated J1N1-S nightfighter design. This model was christened the Model 11 Gekko ("Moonlight"). It had a crew of two with twin 20 mm Type 99 Model 1 cannon firing upward in a 30° upward angle and a second pair firing downward at a forward 30° angle, allowing attacks from above or below. This arrangement was effective against B-17 Flying Fortress bombers and B-24 Liberators, which usually had Sperry ball turrets for ventral defense. The J1N1-S was also used against B-29 Superfortresses in Japan, though usually only one pass could be made against the higher-speed B-29s. However, some skillful pilots were credited with destroying multiple B-29's and one Gekko crew is credited with shooting down five B-29's in one night. A number of Gekkos were relegated to kamikaze attacks using 250 kg bombs attached to the wings.

This was an older boxing (1972!) of this Revell kit. It was a simple build but had some nice detail in the cockpit as well as engine bays that could be built open. It's painted in the standard Night Fighter color of IJN Green all over (a few were painted black). The decals in my kit were no good and I used some scrap numbers on the tail as well as generic insignia. Fortunately markings were simple on this aircraft.

More Pictures here

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug 2017 05:29 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Outstanding Gekko mate :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
When I did my 1/700 scale Gekko's I was misled over details I included and omitted :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug 2017 08:54 am 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Model Portfolio
Those are outstanding.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug 2017 19:26 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Great build, well done.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep 2017 16:37 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

KP 1/72 Avia B.35/1
First prototype, 1938

The Avia B.35 was a Czechoslovakian fighter built shortly before World War II. It was designed to meet a 1935 requirement by the Czechoslovakian Air Force as a replacement for their B-534 biplane fighter . The first prototype, the B-35/1, had excellent flying characteristics and high speed. It was tested with multiple engines and armament configurations. Testing continued until 22 November 1938, when the aircraft was destroyed in a crash that killed Avia test pilot Arnošt Kavalec. Two other prototypes were tested, but before production aircraft could be built Czechoslovakia was occupied by Germany in 1939.

This was an older kit with nice detail and some recessed panel lines. The decals were very old but I got them to lie down with some Micro-Sol and Future. Several of them cracked in the process and had to be re-assembled. The only other issue I had was the canopy - It was not fully formed and is missing small areas in 3 spots. With such an old and hard to find kit it is hard to get a replacement.

More pictures here

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep 2017 17:48 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Excellent work with the Japanese birds and the avia, well done :clapping:

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep 2017 18:05 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

:wow: Awesome planes, Pwt!
That Japanese Gekko, in particular, looks very good.

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep 2017 19:19 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Great jobs on both builds.
Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next