Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 02:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan 2017 07:33 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Super additions Terry. :thumb:
Love the Hellenic Tiger Starfighter, looks awesome. :notworthy: I've had my F104 on the to do pile ever since you built your Airfix version & that was over a year ago. :oops:
All the best for 2017 :blob:
-Mark

Workbench: Italeri Ju87b (1/48); Tamiya Brewster Buffalo (1/48); Airfix 1804 Steam Loco

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2017 09:10 am 
Green Star
Green Star

: --------------------
Thanks, Mark. All the best for 2017 to you as well. :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2017 16:31 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Nice aircraft models, Tex!

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2017 12:44 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Many thanks, huib :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2017 13:08 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Hello ATFers, here are my first additions for 2017.
I bought these two Airfix Car kits with the intention of participating in an ATF Car Group build for 2016, but I fell asleep at the wheel and missed the start of it. I decided to build them over Christmas and keep an eye on the Group Build from afar. I didn’t want to do a 007 DB5, so I looked for something different. I read an article on the auction of the DB5 once owned by Sir Paul Mccartney and thought that to build his would be fab. A splash of dark blue paint on the outside and the bulk of the work was done. Picking up the chrome trim on the windows and such took much longer. The interior needed some detail. I installed a centre console and moved the gear lever closer to its correct position. I found some decals for the instrument panel that gave it a lift. The LEGO type steering wheel supplied in this kit didn’t belong in this car so I used a spare three spoker that looks the part. I was a bit mystified as to how the instrument panel was supposed to be fitted to the car. The best option was to stick it to the windscreen. I included a detailed engine into the empty engine bay to fill the void hoping that you could catch a glimpse of it through the gills in the front wings…but you can’t see a thing...only the light through to the other gill. I included some license plates that were on the auctioned car but wouldn’t have been on the original car. It was a fun build and I think it turned out fab. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
AIRFIX 1/32 Aston Martin DB5 (02406)

The Airfix Bentley was a kit I tried to build once as a kid but I didn’t have a very good time with it and it ended up being torched in my backyard. So much black smoke…and quite toxic I would think. This kit seemed much friendlier than the one I tackled in my youth. Everything fitted a lot easier and I enjoyed the build. The most work centred on the driver. I had to trim him down from a 44 stout to a svelt 36 regular so that he would sit in his seat properly, as well as having to break and reattach his legs. The instrument panel was sanded down a bit to reduce the ‘domes’ on the instruments so that I could fix decals more effectively. I drilled out the ‘sirens’ or ‘horns’ found at the front to look more the part. There were no clear parts supplied with the kit so I added some small windscreens to the slots already provided. The solid folded down windscreen was also replaced with a clear one. The bonnet belts were accentuated with the use of some painted masking tape. It’s a shame that Airfix didn’t provide a chrome radiator or clear headlights, but instead of complaining, I could have easily improvised. Still, I am happy with the result and she won’t disappear into the backyard anytime soon.
AIRFIX 1/32 4 ½ Litre Bentley 1930 (02446)

The trilogy of the Creature from the Black Lagoon (CFTBL) movies scared the living suitcases out of me when I first saw them on the TV as a kid. They would have had the same impact as ‘JAWS’ did when it first came out. Actually the opening scene of the girl swimming in ‘JAWS’ is a direct steal…a homage they call it…to the girl and the Creature swimming scene in the original CFTBL. A friend gave me this kit after I lent him my DVD box set. It’s only a snaptite kit, but the detail on it is very good. One day I opened the box and put it together without any glue, to see how it fits. It had been on my desk at home for a few years and whenever my friend saw it he always asked if I was ever going to paint it, to which I replied ‘I don’t paint fish’. I decided to paint it when I had some spare green paint in my airgun. Here’s a tip – don’t put together a snaptite kit…they don’t like to come apart. Luckily the fit was pretty good and only needed some minor sanding. It was an easy process painting the creature and the base. A little known fact is that Clint Eastwood appears in the second CFTBL movie as a young scientist. He was obviously rehearsing his famous line from Dirty Harry in his only scene…’at the start of the day there was four mice in the cage…now there is only three’…as soon as I heard that I could hear him say…in all this excitement did I fire five or six times…feeling lucky punk?
MOEBIUS 1/12 The Creature From The Black Lagoon (NO-653)

I would only be guessing but, I suppose this would be the same old Airfix ME-262 tooling in a new box for the US market. It has 1979 on the box and the decals include the bent crosses. This kit was a real straight forward quick build. It needed the usual filler in the usual places but nothing severe. I didn’t go for the bomber version that the kit provided parts for as the bombs looked pretty ordinary. Can’t wait to get hold of the new Airfix tooling of the ME-262…
US AIRFIX 1/72 ME-262 (10040)

This car was known as the GTO in the US, in Australia (where they originated from) as the Holden Monaro and in England, as the the Vauxhall Monaro. The Americans didn’t like them so much as they felt they looked too plain. That is a fair call as all Monaro’s have been made as a two door variant of the current four door family car produced by Holden. Later versions had more bumps and bulges to help tart them up a bit. I decided to convert this kit from LHD to RHD to depict an Australian Monaro. The process was pretty simple and took no time to cut the dash, reposition it and fill the gaps. Looks good for my first attempt at this sort of thing. I sanded of the GTO badges and gave the body many coats of Tamiya Silver. My Brother in Law owned a 2003 Monaro and he went up one notch on my scale. When he sold it after only having it for a year he went back down a few notches. He said it was too much trouble getting clients in and out of the car and the sound of it drew too much attention. That’s the main feature of these cars! Accountants…what can you say. I presented this to him so he could reflect on once owning a real car…not what he drives now…BTW he bought a Jeep…really he bought a Jeep.
AMT 1/25 2004 Pontiac GTO (38459)

Starsky and Hutch was a great TV show from the 70’s and some of the biggest stars on the show were the cars. Starsky’s white striped red Torino was a real scene stealer, while Hutch’s ‘late model Tan Ford’ was a real sleeper with a big block under the hood. After reliving the 70’s by power watching the Starsky and Hutch box set, I decided to pay homage by building their cars. No one makes a kit that includes both cars. I found an AMT kit that was as close as I could get to Hutch’s car. Although the kit is of an older model the basic shape is very close. I removed the quarter window frames to give it a look matching the later car. The Hutchmobile was a bit of a sleeper and had a very lived in feel with lots of dents and dirt (funny how the windscreen was always sparkling clean). I put some dents and scratches on the body work and didn’t forget the trademark dented roof. I brush painted the body grey and when that was dry I brush painted the tan colour. This was so that when I gave it a light sand the base colour would come through. The process worked ok and was covered up with some gloss clear coats. The kit was simple to build and provided the option of a fully detailed engine to fit in the engine bay or a dummy engine plate to simplify things. I went for the dummy plate as I couldn’t see Hutch having a fully optioned chromed up big block 429 glistening under his bonnet, or is it a hood. I was very disappointed that Hutch’s Late model Tan Ford didn’t make it to the Starsky and Hutch movie and they used a campervan (slash) apartment as the Hutchmobile..
As for Starsky’s car, there are heaps of die cast options out there but I had never seen the Torino offered as a plastic build kit. Surprisingly, I was able to purchase a new re-issue of the Starsky Car by Revell. I never saw the old issue but I am happy with this one. It’s a cracking kit that builds up nice. The Torino was always gleaming onscreen but the actors didn’t really like driving that car. It had poor performance and suffered from bad handling through excessive understeer. It could barely corner, and in the opening scenes you can see his car with full steering lock going straight ahead. The car/s used in the movie benefitted from modern modifications as they look much more comfortable being driven around. The decal sheet provided is very good and the decals work well. I removed the raised letters and badges on the body work because the decal sheet provided these details. Beats trying to paint them. The big white vector stripe decal comes in three parts. The instructions say that you should apply the side ones first and then apply the one on the roof. I wish I had of read that the day I put the decals on and not the day after. Even though I had applied them out of sequence, I was still able to fit them easily. The side stripes line up perfectly with the door handle, the door lock and the door seam. I was amazed. These are the best fitting decals ever. Even the wood grain decal for the dashboard and the instruments just sat in place. What a delight. Got to love old Zebra three
Revell 1/25 Starsky and Hutch Ford Torino (85-4023)
AMT 1/25 Ford Interceptor Police Car (AMT788/12)

I always had a thing for these batwing Chevvies as My Uncle Vic had one in the late sixties. When he would visit us with his family we all screamed ‘The Batmobile is here!’ It wasn’t a classic two door convertible, but a red and white four door. My Dad said he must have painted it with red paving paint. Mum wouldn’t let us play near it because the paint was fading badly and if you came into contact with it you would be covered in red dust…or white dust…as the roof was white. I remember it always had the perennial hole in the muffler…don’t think it was a V8 at the time but sounded like a very sick one. Uncle Vic was a very short thin man and to use a pillow to see over through the windscreen. We used to go on long drives to our regular extended Family picnic sites and one of my strong memories of those days was when Uncle Vic would do his daring overtaking manouvere. When he wound up that Chevy and got a good head of steam it would really be moving and he would overtake a long line of cars in one go. Looking out my back seat window of Dads car I would see them whoosh past. Auntie Helen would be screaming in fear at Uncle Vic who would be too busy lighting a cigarette and their four kids would be jumping around unrestrained in the rear of the car. Uncle Vic usually did an encore on the return journey. Happy Days. He gave the car to his oldest boy Steve, when he got his license and he proceeded to put the most enormous V8 in it as well as fit a set of tyres that made the ones on Barney Rubbles’ car look like razor blades. In the 90’s he came to his senses a rebuilt the car to a stock showroom condition. As for the kit, although it has a lot of fiddly parts it built up very easy.
MONOGRAM 1/25 '59 Chevrolet Impala Convertible (2437)

Until next time...Thanks for looking :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2017 21:58 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
What can I say Tex but beautiful work all 'round :clapping: :clapping:
I must say the Holden CV-8 Monaro is my fave by a long way :notworthy: pity the tail lights didn't have both US (fully red) and OZ/UK (red/amber) lenses as a choice, typical US I 'spose.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar 2017 02:04 am 
Green Star
Green Star

:clapping: Well tidy models. :clapping:

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017 00:18 am 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Superb recent additions! Love the Aston...

With every model I learn a little more... and then the next one takes longer!

My Portfolio

PostPosted: Sun 30 Apr 2017 19:38 pm 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

: Moderator
: Model Portfolio
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
: Group Build Leader
Cracking cars :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug 2017 04:20 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Hello ATFers, here are my latest completed builds.
When I was an Air Cadet in the early mid 70’s there used to be one of these out the front of our building. On some occasions they would open the canopy for us to have a good look inside and let some lucky cadets sit in it. I remember it being an absolute mess in there and it stunk, but it was certainly a thrill. That Vampire is now fully restored for display at The Bullcreek Air Force Museum. The cockpit looks great now, but just looks a lot smaller than I remembered. One thing that struck me was how much timber was used in the cockpit framework. They may have used timber to replace the corroded Aluminium framing during the restoration process. Anyway the kit is a gem and the only problem I had was with the Hu209 Flourescent Fire Orange paint. It was just wouldn’t cover so I just used some gloss orange.
AIRFIX 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11 (A02058)
Interesting kit this one. I thought I was sold a lemon when I opened it and saw the fuselage had ‘1974’ stamped inside it and a spare sprue containing the wing and other bits that looked like new tooling. I read the instructions and they seemed to verify that all was good. There was a bit of cutting involved to fit the deeper tropical intake but that was an easy task. The fit of the new wing was very good even if it does seem to be a little thick.
AIRFIX 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire MK VC (02040)
I can’t help but to think of the classic movie, ‘The Bridges of Toko Ri’ when I look at the Panther. I tried, but I couldn’t get hold of a decal sheet of Brubaker’s aircraft from the movie. The kit is pretty good and it fits and builds easy with a very nicely detailed cockpit.
HOBBYBOSS 1/72 F9F-2 Panther (87248)
EDUARD 1/72 MiG-15 (7423)
It’s called the ‘weekender edition’…which to me means it should be a simple kit that builds quickly. However, simple kits don’t really have this much detail, or complex sub structures with lots of tiny parts. Still, it come together nicely and looks a lot smaller than I thought.
EDUARD 1/72 MiG-15 (7423)
This is my first ever Airfix Bronco and I really enjoyed building it. I wanted to build the Airfix Bronco but couldn’t get hold of the kit so I decided to get the Academy version. Typically, as soon as I got that kit, this Airfix kit appears. I thought it would be fun to build them side by side to help with detailing. There is about 25 years between these kits…and it shows. The Airfix Bronco needed some interior detailing as, apart from the two high chairs provided, it had the appointments of a cave. I made a cockpit floor out of sheet lead to aid with ballast and added side consoles, an IP for pilot and one for the number two as well as some rear bulkhead detail for the Airfix kit. The Academy Bronco had good detail provided and was used as a reference. Getting the ballast into the Academy kit was a little difficult but no impossible. The canopies of both kits annoyed me equally. I didn’t like how the side canopy framing of the Airfix was part of the fuselage sides, this leads to very thick framing and the Bronco has very thin framing giving it a very airy feel. The canopy of the Academy is much better and thinner and comes in four parts like the Airfix kit, but I really struggle getting multiple clear parts to line up. Apart from that rant it all worked out well. Surprisingly, and conveniently, the Academy decal sheet provided similar options of aircraft to complete so I used that sheet for both models. The rescue and warning decals from the Airfix decal sheet were used for nostalgia. Although the Academy Bronco probably produced a better model, I would say that I had easily more fun building the Airfix Bronco as it was more ‘hands on’.
ACADEMY 1/72 OV-10A Bronco (12463)
AIRFIX 1/72 N.A. OV-10A Bronco (02035-2)
This old Hasegawa kit is nothing really special but it certainly fits and builds well. I would have just done the typical SEA three colour camo scheme until I saw a picture of a Phantom from the Hellenic Air Force. In 2005, for the retirement of last F-4E in Mira 337 Squadron, this Phantom received this special scheme. It was seen during the big national Greek AF Airshow named "Archangel 2005". Today, the aircraft still wear this scheme in its latest role as a gate guard at Larissa Air Base. Applying the decals was a bit of a handful and not without mishap. The decal for the Greek flag on the drop tanks curled over on itself at the wrong time…is there a right time? This lead to me masking and painting the flags on the drop tanks, which wasn’t as hard as I thought. All the yellow stars are individual decals, so when I had some spare at the end I made a Southern Cross on the nose of the centreline tank.
HASAGAWA 1/72 F-4E Phantom II (#C2:900)
This kit was a bit more involved than I thought it would be, but it went together very well. It seemed odd that the camo scheme looked more in line with for an asset suited to desert warfare but the aid of the mottled white winter markings it looks the part. It looks big in the photograph…but it is a small model.
HASAGAWA 1/72 Sd.Kfz 251/1 Ausf.D (31144)
Until next time…thanks for looking :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug 2017 06:13 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
Very nicely finished additions Tex!! :clapping: :clapping:
The forward fuse of any Vampire/Venom was of wooden construction, with metal bits here and there.

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug 2017 06:15 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Very impressive Tex, you have been busy.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug 2017 01:09 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks FAAMAN, Thanks Wingy :cheers:

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug 2017 08:22 am 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Model Portfolio
Good stuff - the Vampire is a special and the Phantom colour scheme looks great.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug 2017 09:51 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Indeed a very good paintjob on the SdKfz.251

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7