Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Wed 20 Sep 2017 22:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brews' Build
PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2017 08:06 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Fairly satisfied at the moment. The lower hull meets the upper hull again, for the first time in about 18 months. Bondo is working well - still a ways to go but you can see how it's turning out.

There's a lot going on in this pic :) In the background, you can see a comparison of the modified wheelhouse with the original kit profile. In the foreground, I'm in the middle of making a slatted walkway.

A couple of views of the hull:

Still loads to do, but I'm happy (and surprised) that the hull is closed up. Earlier than I'd wanted to do it, but who cares!? I just used a liberal amount of MEK to join it - and I guess the Bondo helped a little. Progress.

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2017 20:57 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Comparison of the original kit hull, the modified hull, and Revell's S-100 hull. Of course the S-100 hull is longer, and has exhausts below the waterline (I don't think that the S-7 class had that feature), but it's very similar, except that it also has a wedge at the rear, which the S-7 should not. I filed down the rear of the underside of the Airfix hull, but you can't tell from this shot.

The sides of the modified hull are about 5mm shorter than the original item - again, you can't tell here. In fact, it's hard to tell even when the hulls are side by side. But it's shorter. Trust me.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb 2017 09:08 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Two weeks, and nothing much appears different, but I've worked a lot on it. I was going to apply some Gunze Sangyo Mr Dissolved Putty today, but it had dried out, so I dropped some lacquer thinner in it - and we'll see how we go with that. The Bondo is very soft compared to the kit plastic, and sanding it leaves hollows. I think that even Mr Dissolved Putty might be harder.

I have extended the skeg further to the stern. I guess, by about 80mm. I'd have to check on that. I'm building it up in vertical sections of 20thou card. It is pretty strong, because I've managed to get it into the locating slots in the lower hull that are intended for the central prop.

On the upperworks, I started making some more slats. It's a dreary job. Also, I started replacing the sides of the rearmost deckhouse with plastic card, ready for drilling out the new, smaller, scuttles.

I want to get this finished in time for the Western Canadian Regional Model Show. I saw The Migrant there, once, but he had a falling out with the Rocky Mountain Model Club, and doesn't go anymore. Which is a pity, because I like catching up with Mike, and teaching him how to drink weizen.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb 2017 06:02 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

So, the Mr. Dissolved Putty worked fine, but I ended up filing it all off after giving it a once-over by eye.

Interesting stuff can be gleaned from the web.

Schnellboot Class S7

S-No. Launched Commissioned Fate
S7 14.08.1933 10.10.1934 War booty Great Britain, sunk 02.05.46 in the North Sea
S8 22.01.1934 06.09.1934 War booty Great Britain, sold 1947/48
S9 24.02.1934 12.06.1935 After the war at Norway as E.1, sunk 02.05.46 in the North Sea
S10 26.08.1934 07.03.1935 After the war at Norway as E.2, then scrapped
S11 24.10.1934 03.08.1935 War booty USSR as TK-1002
S12 18.02.1935 31.08.1935 War booty USA
S13 29.03.1935 07.12.1935 War booty Great Britain

I wonder who bought S8 and what they did with it? It would have made a great yacht :) However, given the unreliability of the MAN engines, I'm guessing it was scrapped.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb 2017 07:29 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

"Primer" of Tamiya XF-24 sprayed on hull. Not really a primer, just a uniform colour to help me find the faults - not that they're hard to find. If I wanted to go hard on myself, I'd have used silver. XF-24 dries quickly, though, and it's close to the final colour that I'll use for the lower hull, so, there's a method to my madness.

I decided to alter the bumper strip. It should be a smooth, continuous curve, whereas it's a bit angular where it curves upward near the torpedo tubes, and it doesn't finish quite high enough at the stem.

June 10th is the model show. That's my target date.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb 2017 07:40 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

An interesting idea that I picked up from a ship model forum was using the hull of the Revell S-100 with the Airfix deck (and modified details) to make an S14-S17 class (filing off the wedge at the rear of the underside of the hull) and S18-S25 class boat (keeping the wedge). The Revell S-100 hull is only 6 scale inches (2mm) longer than the S14's. Probably not enough to worry about, but shaving 2mm off the stern shouldn't be an issue if it bothered you.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb 2017 08:27 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Ok, you might get a sense of some difference in elevation of the hull sides, but that's not the point of this progress pic. I took it to show some filler that I just placed on the rear of the hull (ignoring the contouring I did in other areas). There is some concaveness (concavity?) at the rear of the Airfix hull in profile, and it is very flat in cross-section in that area, where it should have a little v-ness. I had neglected this before, as I'd previously put some prop shaft fairings in place, and I didn't want to fill over them. I removed those yesterday. Again, noone but me will notice this, but at the end of the day, I have to live with it. You might also notice the skeg extension that I built. I'll build it up more with the putty, and then finish it off. It might be a little short, still, but there is a prop shaft to go in the rear end of it as well.

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb 2017 12:44 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

: Model Portfolio
Lovely work going on here. I doffs my cap both for the modelling work and the informative posts. :notworthy: :notworthy:

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb 2017 00:57 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Thanks. You know how it is. Just trying to finish something that should have been finished before now.

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb 2017 05:07 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: --------------------
Interesting build Brews, might I add a comment? Would it be easier, to make the skeg extension, from polystyrene strip rather than putty, (be a bit more durable)?
Mike

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb 2017 01:01 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

I did, actually, draw the outline on 20 thou card, and built it up from a few layers of card and superglue (see post from Feb 9). It was still a bit thin. If I'd built it thicker, then I'd have to sand it down, of course. I don't care which way it goes, but I'd still need putty to fair it in. If I didn't have half a tube of Bondo left, I might be less lavish with my use of it. :)