Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 24 Jul 2014 03:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb 2008 06:42 am 
Green Star
Green Star

The bag tag for this kit is one of my favorite Airfix box arts.
Here is the kit built as an earlier SWPA P-39D, maybe an F or K series?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2009 17:34 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

: --------------------
: Administrator
: Airfix Archivist
: Model Portfolio
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Here's a Russian one....

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2009 21:08 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Both excellent builds. I like that colour Brian

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2009 17:28 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Two nice neat builds of an aircraft you don't see that often . I have a Revell one in my stash that I must build one day.

Bob(K)

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2009 11:34 am 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

The standard Airfix kit that I first built way way back - I recently gave it a make over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2009 12:06 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: IPMS Member
Good job gerry  :thumb:

IPMS 10983
My Portfolio My Workbench

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2009 17:46 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Another cracking result Gerry. I particularly like the overhead shots, with the dirty snow effect.

Bob(K)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2009 18:23 pm 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

Very nice indeed!

My Portfolio
My Works in Progress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2009 22:39 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Nice work.  8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul 2009 14:49 pm 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

The 'dirty snow effect' is, in fact, a sheet of hardboard that at some stage was painted white for reasons long since forgotten and over the years, simply became dirty. Oh that I could claim the wit or imagination to having created it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul 2009 14:57 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

A lucky accident maybe Gerry but effective none the less.  8-)
Regards
Mark

Well I used to remember, Now it's all gone
World War something, We were somebody's sons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul 2009 15:55 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

: Group Build Leader
Looks cool in white. No pun intend, honest :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul 2009 16:45 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

great job, Gerry.

How much, and what, did you use to make it stand on its nosewheel  :?:

- Jesper.

My Portfolio Update: 16/3/2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul 2009 21:28 pm 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

The nose is packed tightly with plasticene - it is a very old model, built before I discovered other things. It can be made not to sit on its tail with enough weight (lumps of lead would be preferable), but my model now has a thin perspex support that you can see under the fuselage in the first of the three photos. I airbrushed it out in the third photo, but in the process, I botched up the appearance of one of the wheels. On the model, the wheel is perfectly normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011 11:37 am 
Red Star
Red Star

Bell P-39Q ,Russian AF ''White 10'' flown by Capt Pavel Kutakhov, of 40th 19GIAP,Shongui late 1943.

I built this plane in May 2010

Greetz,
Gerald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb 2011 07:18 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Hello,

bernard5802

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011 15:38 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Old build of an ancient kit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011 02:54 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Here’s my Airfix 1/72 Bell P-39Q Airacobra finished mostly OOB as White 40 from the 40th FS, 35th FG, on Tsili-Tsili, New Guinea in August 1943.  These markings are for the mount of Lt Thomas Winburn, who was somewhat famous for the 6 Feb battle over Wau when he led his P-39’s against a Japanese formation and was one of three P-39 pilots to claim double victories.  Those were the only victories scored by Lt Winburn during the war.  The other kit option is for White 10 of the 19th GIAP flying out of Shongui in late 1943.  This option was flown by Capt Pavel Stepanovich Kutakhov who later became famous as the Chief Commander of Aviation of the USSR in from 1969 to 1984.

Airfix kits can be somewhat hit or miss.  I’ll state up front that I think this is probably one of the worst Airfix kits I’ve assembled.  It’s right down there with the Defiant.  And for some unknown reason, I love P-39’s.  So it’s not any prejudice against this airplane coming through.  The fit of all parts was pretty questionable, and there are some issues with the provided markings.  But it’s not all bad.  First off the good stuff, it’s a P-39.  I love P-39’s.  And this offers yet another inexpensive chance to build a unique mold that’s different from the traditional Heller, Revell, Academy and Hobbyboss offerings.  It comes with a pilot, which is always nice, and considering the cockpit, pretty much required.  It has a drop tank, which helps it look a little more militant than a clean aircraft.  The 20mm cannon in the nose is nicely hollowed out, which actually looks pretty good on the finished model.  That’s about it for the good stuff.  On the bad side the kit has really serious fit issues.  The lower wing fits very badly with the rest of the fuselage.  For me this part is mostly filler since that was the only way I could make it flow at all.  In some ways that’s just the hand we’re dealt though, I don’t blame Airfix for that issue, since it’s pretty common among kits.  There are couple of areas I had a hard time dealing with however.  First the aft canopy section is about 1mm too short.  It results in a noticeable step between the cockpit frame and the canopy.  I used some plasitcard in the cockpit to elevate the canopy, and that helped eliminate the problem, but it was a lot of work cutting, trimming and sanding the parts just get an extra mm out of the canopy.  The forward fuselage and propeller spinner have two different diameters.  They aren’t even close in size, so when the prop is attached the spinner sticks up for about 1mm all around the fuselage.  I couldn’t figure out any way to hide that, so it’s there as is.  The main wheel wells allow a glimpse into the cockpit, but that’s minor, and it didn’t bother me enough to fix it.  And I’m just not a fan of the way they divided up the canopies.  It makes for very awkward side windows.  In fact these were so thick and awkward I left them off, instead filling the area with Testor’s clear parts maker.

Airfix provides a few options for this kit.  First off, like I said there’s a pilot, so this one can be depicted in the air.  For underwing stores there’s the .50 cal gun pods and the drop tank.  You can choose to attach these or not, but be warned, it you leave them off you will need to fill in all the holes.  And in the case of the .50 cal gun pods, there’s nothing else to put there.  I’ll talk more about that in a little bit, but there’s no option for the internal wing mounted guns if you leave the gun pods off.  The landing gear can be up or down, which is pretty standard.  If you put them up though, I suspect you’ll have issues with the gear doors adequately covering the wheel wells.  And that’s about it.  No open doors.  No lowered flaps.  No displaced control surfaces.  Still, for the price, it’s slightly better than the options provided with the Hobbyboss kit, so I can’t really complain.

The colour schemes are pretty decent.  I like both the white markings on the standard USAAF drab green over neutral grey, and the red nose on the soviet example.  Both are very visually striking.  And both are reasonably famous aircraft, which is always nice.  Best of all, they are easy to paint, with minimal masking or fancy mottling.  There’s one big rub however, neither decal version is for a P-39Q.  Both markings are for P-39N’s.  The painting instructions and the box art are correct for an N version, but the kit in the box won’t really let you build one without major work.  I’m not a P-39 expert, but the biggest difference that I am aware of concerns the wing guns.  The P-39N had four .30 cal wing guns, while the P-39Q removed the wing guns and installed two .50 cal gun pods under the wings.  Building the correct N version would require sourcing the guns and modifying the wings with the correct panels and casing ejector ports.  Not impossible, but certainly a little tricky.  The decals went on really well, and I had no issues with them at all.  For the American version there’s only six decals provided, so it’s a pretty quick effort.  I added in two walkway decals from the Airfix P-51D kit, to make the wings look a little more complete.

Overall I love P-39’s, but I really didn’t like this kit at all.  The fit issues were so bad, and so prevalent that it really took any joy out of building the model.  I found myself wondering what would go wrong next.  In the end it looks pretty decent, and I do really like the markings provided, even if they don’t really go with the kit.  I’d have to say it might be worth picking up, but only for the decal sheet.  If you want a P-39 I’d go elsewhere.  Two thumbs down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011 07:40 am 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

A splendid model with a nicely detailed paint finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011 10:32 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Here is my Airfix P39Q Airacobra. I agree with Cusack this is a terrible kit. Its a filler magnet. Also the instructions dont mention anything about weight in the nose. I put 5g in but its still a tail sitter so please forgive the cocktail stick n blue tak holding the rear end up

Steve

Airfix Club Member 598047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011 12:20 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Nice job Pops

James

Airfix club #597359               My Portfolio                My Works in Progress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011 14:57 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Cheers James

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011 19:29 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Nice work Pops :thumb:

Bernard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011 19:46 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Thanks Bernard

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun 2011 21:15 pm 
White Star
White Star

First plane after a 2 month hiatus due to real life getting in the way (got married!).

I made this one slightly different to the instructions, and how I have done so in the past. I made up the wings, with guns, drop tank, wheels etc and painted that.

Then I did the same with the fuselage, prop, front wheel (after adding some shot weights to the nose - dunno if it needed them but didn't want my first front wheeler to fall over!) and then glued both of those parts together.

It seemed to work well for me, and I am happy with the result.

What do you think?